Extra comments showing up on Adobe Reader/Acrobat and Large File Size

Marcello Velocci

Marcello Velocci

Hi,

We seem to be experiencing an issue with Nitro v13(other versions not tested). When a PDF is edited to have comments, bubbles or any annotations the PDF will grow anywhere from double in size to ten times we have seen! Also, when opened within Adobe Reader or Acrobat 2015/2017, the PDF shows an insane amount of comments that clutter the screen, making our own comments impossible to read! Nitro does not see these comments but they only become an issue after initially being saved in Nitro.

This happens with PDFs created in AutoCAD. Initially they are properly displayed within Nitro and Adobe. Only once we edit within Nitro, we have the insane file size increase and Adobe comments issue. This does not happen if the file is initially edited within Adobe Acrobat.

My steps to correct this is to use the Optimize PDF feature in Nitro to remove markup annotations and saving before doing any work to the file afterwards.

Is there any reason Nitro would be doing this in the first place? Any setting that can be changed to avoid this in the future? I really want to avoid any user possibly forgetting to first use my optimize method then spend hours creating a manual for our products only to find that the document is riddled with comments again and at that point would be pointless to optimize as it would also remove any annotations we included ourselves!

I can upload my test documents if necessary for your review!

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Marcello Velocci,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

To bring in an AutoCAD files into Nitro Pro, we highly recommend following :

a. Open the file in AutoCAD > File > Export to an image format. (i.e. .jpg or .png format)
b. Open Nitro Pro > click on the Home tab > PDF > From File > Add Files > select the image file. This will convert the image to a PDF format. 

This process works over the direct print using the Nitro PDF Creator, since it does not require Nitro Pro to render the content in the AutoCAD file.

If above steps did not help and in order for me to further assist you with your concern, could you please provide the following?:

-The serial number of your Nitro Pro 13.
-Build of Nitro Pro are you working with. You can find this out by clicking on 'About Nitro Pro' under the Help tab (format is 13.X.X.X, e.g. 13.2.3.26) or you can go to Control Panel > Programs and Features.
-A few sample PDF files created by AutoCAD

To send them via private message, hover your mouse on top of my name 'AllainU' and select 'Message'. This matters because our business installers are different from the online ones.

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

Marcello Velocci

Not a great solution as we get our drawings from our clients and we simply can't request every one of them do this for us! Besides, AutoCAD has it's own PDF output processing, bypassing any need for Nitro PDF Creator or Adobe's API. Would be ideal if Nitro simply didn't do this at all. As I've said, this only happens once edited with Nitro v13. We had upgraded quite a few of our older licenses at the request of our engineering group, which was the biggest mistake as Nitro went downhill after v10 IMO.

I've resorted to printing as PDF in order to "flatten" the image. Seriously, why doesn't Nitro have a flatten command? And if it does, please point to where this is found.