Keeping file sizes down

Anthony Hill

Morning,

We are using Nitro to create editable PDF forms. The problem we are running into is the size of the file at the end. We basically have to create the file perfectly the first time. Any change you make will increase the file size until you have an un-manageable size, especially for posting on the web or emailing. If we made an error and deleted the error then re-do it, the file size increases. If I create a text box, then delete it, the file size doesn't decrease.

If I open a 20-page document that is 849 KB and delete half of the pages, the file size does not increase - it actually increased to 849!

However, if i extract the 10 pages i want and save out a new document, it is only 550 KB.

Can that be addressed? Or am I missing something? Space isn't unlimited - we need to keep these file sizes at a minimum to make them effective for downloading and emailing.

Thanks.

• Official Nitronaut

Hi @Anthony Hill,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

Please allow me to collect additional information to better troubleshoot this issue:

1. Is this happening to any PDF files you create with editable form fields?
2. Is the original PDF file created in Nitro Pro or exported to PDF using other program?
3. Can you send a copy of the exact/original file so I can test and see if the issue can be reproduced on my end.
4. What is the version and build of your Nitro Pro? This information can be located under the Help tab > About Nitro Pro.

Kind regards, 

i actually learned about how to optimize a PDF today, which helped a little.

1) yes. though it doesn't seem to be the editable fields as much as the text fields i add to the document.

2) i usually create them in word, then save as a PDF, then edit them in Nitro.

3) yes - but how do i do that? Do i need your email address?

4) 13.13.2.42

• Official Nitronaut

Hi @Anthony Hill,

If you want to convert a Word document to PDF, you can print it using the Nitro PDF Creator printer. This will standardized the PDF that will best when edited in Nitro Pro. To do this, go to File > Print then select Nitro PDF Creator as the printer. You can also use the Nitro Word Add-in to convert the Word document to PDF. 

The latest build of Nitro Pro 13 is 13.24. You can find the installer from this link - https://www.gonitro.com/nps/product-details/downloads

Regarding the document for testing, you can send a private message then attach the document from there.

Kind regards,

• Official Nitronaut

Hi @Anthony Hill,

When you print a Word document to PDF using the Nitro PDF Creator, the 'Printer Properties' will give you Conversion Quality options. By default, it is set to Office-Ready but you can change it to Print-Ready for better quality. 

If you will use the Nitro Pro Word add-in (the Nitro Pro tab), clicking the Advanced button will give Images and fonts quality (found under Optimization tab). You can change that selection before clicking the Create PDF within the Word Add-in.

Kind regards,