Nitro Pro Freezing/Crashing

Jonah Kaufman

Jonah Kaufman

Hello,

I am on a new laptop with Windows 10. For some reason when I try to create and combine documents (3-5 documents, usually) Nitro keeps freezing and then crashing. It seems to happen when I choose my first file only. This has only starting happening within the past week or so. Any ideas? I've restarted my laptop a few times but the issue persists. 

Thanks! 

Edited by Jonah Kaufman

• Official Nitronaut
Reymund Oyong

Hi @Jonah Kaufman,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

I understand that Nitro Pro turns into a not responding state when combining multiple documents. 
Please allow me to collect more information to better troubleshoot this issue. Kindly provide details to the following:

1. The version and build of Nitro Pro installed on your computer. This can be located under the Help tab > About Nitro Pro.
2. What are the type of files (.docx, .xlsx, .pdf) you are trying to combine using Nitro Pro? Would you be so kind to send a copy of the files (two or more) so I could test and see if the issue can be reproduced on our end?
3. What are the steps you are taking (workflow) when combining files?
4. Are the files (to be combined) being accessed on a local or network/shared drive?

For testing purposes, could you please try to combine the attached files (test documents in .docx, .pdf and .txt) on your Nitro Pro?
Download the files then save them on your local drive (example: C drive). From there, right-click the files then select Convert to PDF with Nitro Pro.

Kind regards,

TestDocument.docx TestDocument.pdf TestDocument.txt

Edited by Reymund G.

Jonah Kaufman

HI @Reymund G.,

Thanks for the quick response. I am running Nitro Pro 13. I tried those test documents and it worked no problem. I believe that the PDFs I was trying to combine may have been corrupted or protected even though they open with no issue or password needed in Nitro Pro. I get an alert on two documents that says "PDF is restricted or has limited access to some features." I am not sure why though because I have combined these documents numerous times in the past. I might have to check with the person who sent them.  At the end I get "2 of 4 files corrupted or with bad format could not be added." At least it seems my computer and nitro pro is not totally freezing up now though. 

The files are all PDF documents. I would send them but they have personal information from a client. 

I've tried both ways of combining them. Either create and combine or selecting them all and clicking combine documents in Nitro Pro. 

The files were downloaded from an email that my coworker sent to me. They are on my laptop (Windows 10).

Edited by Jonah Kaufman

• Official Nitronaut
Reymund Oyong

Thank you for the update @Jonah Kaufman,

It is high likely due to the document that has restrictions on it. You can check it by opening the PDF document then go to File > Document Properties. Under Security tab, you will see the changes allowed and not under Existing security settings

I believed that you are combining these PDF documents directly from your local drive and not from a shared or network drive. Also, Nitro Pro 13 has different builds, you can see this information under Help tab > About Nitro Pro. The latest build at this point is 13.26.

I understand that the PDF documents contain confidential information. You may try to extract the document to create a new PDF document then use that new document when you combine. See if the not responding issue persists. 

Kind regards,

Jonah Kaufman

Dear Reymund,

Thanks for the response.  Yes, I have been combining them directly from my local drive after downloading them from an email. I am running Nitro Pro 12.26.3.505 currently. I uninstalled and reinstalled yesterday when Nitro kept crashing and freezing.  When I check the Document Properties I see Security Method: No Security on both documents.  I do see under Existing Security Settings that Change document, Document assembly, Page Extraction are all not allowed. I did save the files as a PDF in the print window and it seems to have let me able to combine them. I wonder if the issue is coming from the person who emailed them to me. Although, she did say that she uses Nitro Pro to add text into the document. 

• Official Nitronaut
Reymund Oyong

Thanks for checking the document's security settings, @Jonah Kaufman. The user may have unconsciously assigned a security settings on the document and this prevents you from combining it to other PDF documents. 

Reprinting the document to PDF will remove all the security settings set on the document, as this will basically create a new PDF document. 

Kindly check this area if you encounter combine issues in the future. 

Kind regards,