Upgrade Nitro Pro 11 to 13 wont install or activate

Elizabeth Thomson

Elizabeth Thomson

I purchased an upgrade from Nitro Pro 11 to Nitro Pro 13 two months ago. I received a receipt that payment went through and my serial number. I never received an email with instructions how to activate. So I clicked on install trial button in email. This downloads but during installation hangs on error that BrCtrlCntr.exe is preventing installation, and to click continue to close and continue,. When I click continue that brings me to install wizard failed window. When I looked at what processes are running (per the instructions in another support thread)  there is no BrCtrlCntr.exe there or in my task bar. I went to the activation portal it does show my license is active and 0 activations but when I click on activate a bubble pops up to choose which device but there is no place to choose a device. I ran a support tool from my current Nitro Pro 11 but cant figure out how to upload that here. Help?! please!! 

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Elizabeth Thomson,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

Please right-click your Task Bar then select Task Manager and go to Services tab. Then sort Group column and look for BrCtrlCntr.exe. Did you find it in the list?

If still none, kindly go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features. Is there an application for a Brother printer / scanner currently installed? Would it be fine uninstalling it in the meantime?

Once uninstalled, please reboot your machine and try installing your Nitro Pro 13 using our direct MSI installers below:

x32 http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_13302587/en/retail/nitro_pro13_ba_x86.msi 
x64 http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_13302587/en/retail/nitro_pro13_ba_x64.msi

To know if you have 32-bit or 64-bit, please refer to this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/15056/windows-32-64-bit-faq

After installation, you can activate by opening Nitro Pro, clicking on the Help tab > About Nitro Pro > Activate by entering your new serial number.

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Elizabeth Thomson

I have tried everything and I still get the same error message about BrCtrlCntr.exe, 

I went to Task Manager and BrCtrlCnt.exe is not listed under the Services tab in the group column

I uninstalled all Brother printer/scanner applications, then rebooted and tried installing  Nitro Pro again using the x64 bit link you provided but it stopped with the message about closing BrCtrlCntr.exe. It also gave an option to ignore but that did nothing.

Elizabeth Thomson

I got it to install !! I could not find BrCtrlCntr.exe anywhere on my computer but read in another thread that closing ControlCenter4 from task bar might work. ControlCenter4 was running in my task bar (little orange icon) and closing it did the trick. It should be noted the error message specifically said "BrCtrlCntr.exe"