Installation hell

Jacques Sauve

Jacques Sauve

I have a customer who uses Nitro Pro 11 (I have encouraged them to upgrade to 13, they are thinking about it). One of the devices is a Surface Pro 7 with Windows 10 20H2. She has never been able to install Nitro Pro 11.

When I try to, it says that there is a newer version installed and it won't install. She said, "Let's try v13, and if we have to we'll purchase the upgrade."

When I try to install v13, it tells me that it can't remove the previous version! LOL!

I have tried running your cleanup tool; I have followed the instructions about the permissions on the WindowsApps folder...nothing. Always the same thing. I went through the registry and cleaned out every instance of "nitro"...nothing doing.

So...how does one get this thing installed??

• Official Nitronaut
Reymund Oyong

Hi @Jacques Sauve,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

Could you please provide the link where you get the cleanup tool? You may have used an old cleanup tool and it did not successfully remove all traces of Nitro Pro. 

Also, when you go to Windows Control Panel's Programs and Features, do you see anything related to Nitro Pro?

Kind regards,

Jacques Sauve

Hi Reymund,

Oh, I got the cleanup tool from one of the discussions here on the forum, so I can't really tell you exactly which link that was; perhaps just provide me with the latest link?

And no - in the installed programs, on the C drive, in the registry, I have removed all traces of Nitro Pro that I can find.

Thanks!

Jacques

Jean-Marc Dube

I  install nitro pro 12 on a new computer this morning and the activation work. It was fine for a while. Now I am back to the free version. Before that i deactivate the product properly.

• Official Nitronaut
Reymund Oyong

Hi @Jacques Sauve,

Please follow the steps below (with updated cleanup tool) then see if it will successfully remove Nitro Pro on the computer.

1. Download Nitro cleanup tool from the link below:
https://install.nitropdf.com/professional_13302587/install-cleanup/install-cleanup.zip 

2. Extract the cleanup utility then run the cleanup tool by double-clicking nitro-cleanup.vbs. A command window will appear during the cleanup process.
3. After the cleanup, restart the computer. 

After that, check if you can install again Nitro Pro. 

Kind regards,

• Official Nitronaut
Reymund Oyong

Hi @Jean-Marc Dube,

Could you please provide the serial number you use to activate Nitro Pro?
Please provide as well the exact version and build of Nitro Pro installed on the new computer. You can see this information by going to the Help tab > About Nitro Pro.

Kind regards,

• Official Nitronaut
Reymund Oyong

Thank you, @Jean-Marc Dube,

Please try to reactivate your Nitro Pro 12 installation by going to the Help tab > About Nitro Pro > Activate. It should be working now. 

Kind regards,

• 1 month later...
Jacques Sauve

Hi Reymund,

I finally got to try this, and I'm still getting the same error. Can't install v11 because it says there's a newer version, and can't install 13 because it says the older version has not been completely removed.

Still stuck in Nitro purgatory...

Jacques

On 12/2/2020 at 1:20 PM, Reymund G. said:

Hi @Jacques Sauve,

Please follow the steps below (with updated cleanup tool) then see if it will successfully remove Nitro Pro on the computer.

1. Download Nitro cleanup tool from the link below:
https://install.nitropdf.com/professional_13302587/install-cleanup/install-cleanup.zip 

2. Extract the cleanup utility then run the cleanup tool by double-clicking nitro-cleanup.vbs. A command window will appear during the cleanup process.
3. After the cleanup, restart the computer. 

After that, check if you can install again Nitro Pro. 

Kind regards,

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Jacques Sauve,

Thank you for your response.

Kindly run MS FixIt to delete traces from previous installation of Nitro Pro 11 by visiting this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed 

After running this tool, reboot your machine and try installing again your Nitro Pro 13.

Thank you for choosing Nitro and I hope this helps.

Jacques Sauve
On 1/7/2021 at 6:14 PM, AllainU said:

Hello @Jacques Sauve,

Thank you for your response.

Kindly run MS FixIt to delete traces from previous installation of Nitro Pro 11 by visiting this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed 

After running this tool, reboot your machine and try installing again your Nitro Pro 13.

Hello,

Just tried this this morning; doesn't work. Here's what I did:

1. Ran your VBS removal tool

2. Rebooted the workstation

3. Ran the MS tool; said I was having issues installing a software that was not listed, but it found no problem.

4. Downloaded and tried installing NP13 - same error: complains that a previous version is still installed.

Unless you come up with some magic solution to resolve this, customer will now be looking for another solution.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Jacques Sauve,

Thank you for your patience.

After checking our recourses, it appears the following registry removal might resolve the issue.

IMPORTANT: Make sure to save a backup before making any change by referring to this article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322756/how-to-back-up-and-restore-the-registry-in-windows 

Please check and delete a Registry entry that could be causing the issue. You should find it under the following Registry folder: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products 

You will see a list of entries with a long alphanumeric name. An example of this would be: '831AAE641C32BF44CA312A5BA4747E50', each computer will have its own unique ID though.

Please click on each Registry Folder within the Products section and check the 'Product Name' until you find one with the name of Nitro Pro. Please delete the parent folder with the alphanumeric string name and then try to install Nitro Pro once again.

Jacques Sauve
21 hours ago, AllainU said:

Hello @Jacques Sauve,

Thank you for your patience.

After checking our recourses, it appears the following registry removal might resolve the issue.

IMPORTANT: Make sure to save a backup before making any change by referring to this article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322756/how-to-back-up-and-restore-the-registry-in-windows 

Please check and delete a Registry entry that could be causing the issue. You should find it under the following Registry folder: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products 

You will see a list of entries with a long alphanumeric name. An example of this would be: '831AAE641C32BF44CA312A5BA4747E50', each computer will have its own unique ID though.

Please click on each Registry Folder within the Products section and check the 'Product Name' until you find one with the name of Nitro Pro. Please delete the parent folder with the alphanumeric string name and then try to install Nitro Pro once again.

This finally did it!!!

Thank-you!