Computer no longer works properly after installing NitroPro

Maria Holstein

Maria Holstein

Good day dear members,
after I installed Nitro Pro on a computer, the computer worked properly at first. But after some time the computer had problems, the client could not book. Software is office plus (Büro Plus in German).

Also the computer became slower, the task bar disappeared.
After we uninstalled the Nitro Pro software, the computer worked correctly.

Has anyone had similar problems? Can you help? Thank you very much!

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Maria Holstein,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

This is the first time we have received such behavior and in order to further troubleshoot, is the program still uninstalled from the system?

If yes, could you please provide the serial number when it was still activated? To send it via private message, hover your mouse on top of my name 'AllainU' and select 'Message'.

If you can still remember, what was the exact build of the program (format is 13.X.X.X, e.g. 13.2.3.26)?

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

• 1 month later...
Sarah MacGillivray

This is happening in my environment as well... Explore.exe crashes and restarts every minute or so. Removing the updated nitro and rebooting resolved the problem. I guess we have to roll back to previous version

• I agree 1

Zachary Reyes

My situation is similar as Sarah's in that the software was causing windows explorer to crash.

So far I've only seen one instance of this occuring and it was with build 13.42 after the free trial expired and while we were waiting for a license from our distributor. Needless to say, the issue caused some headaches for our customer, as well as our technicians. Unfortunately, event logs and process monitor never pinpointed this application and simply said that Explorer.exe was having errors. We only uncovered the issue after resetting Windows 10 and started re-installing the applications. 

Can anyone confirm if the cause of the issue was the lack of a license or if the issue could still persist even if one is applied? I'm a little hesitant to install the build, given the issues. Currently we have the license and will apply it to an earlier build of Nitro 13. Thanks!

Edited by Zachary Reyes

Sarah MacGillivray

Yes, the issue remains even with the license applied... So far I've found it may be an issue if installation occurs while a user is logged on maybe... Not yet confirmed 100% though

• 6 months later...

I also have a client with this exact issue, used to have the free trial version, bought a valid license and has a valid serial no. and after installing the application her explorer.exe process crashes consistently every 30secs-1min and worse when trying to navigate the file explorer as well, I made a post about this as well, is there any progress on a known fix for this issue, I've attempted to install the app with no standard users logged in and only in a local admin account and then having the user login and still the issue returns.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Sarah MacGillivray @Zachary Reyes @Maria Holstein,

Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and I trust each and everyone is safe.

Can you all please test something out for us to determine the cause of the issue? Please perform the following tasks: 

1. Open a CMD window as an Administrator. 

2. Navigate to the Nitro folder by entering the following command cd "c:\Program Files\Nitro\Pro\13" and pressing enter

3. Disable the Thumbnail provider by running regsvr32 /u NitroPDFThumbnailProvider.dll and pressing enter

4. A prompt saying “DllUnregisterServer in NitroPDFThumbnailProvider.dll succeeded” should appear, just click OK.

At this point, please observe if explorer.exe is still crashing for you or not. 

Thank you for choosing Nitro and again, our sincerest apologies for this rare issue.

Edited by Allain Umailin

@Allain UmailinHello

I have applied this fix for my user that was experiencing this issue and this did fix it, at least for now I am going to check back with my user in a day or so and will post back here if the issue returns, thank you very much for the assist!