Nitro Po 10.5.8.44 pauses / hangs frequently

Rob

Whether I am typing text into a PDF or zooming or scrolling or whatever, the program pauses / hangs about every 5 minutes or less, the page I'm viewing will go slightly blurry and displays the little blue spinning circle in the center of the page while it is having its brain-fart which lasts for about 10 seconds before I can resume working. This isn't anything new.. It has been happening ever since I purchased the pro version. I'm using Windows 10.

Any suggestions???? 

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

So, I think this might be the auto-recovery feature, but even if it's not, I'm pretty sure Nitro is not supposed to hang like that, so you'll want to contact support and have them look into it for you: https://www.gonitro.com/support/ticket

If I'm right, you can just disable the auto-recovery feature or set it to a very long time.  You can find it in Preferences, in the General tab.

• 2 weeks later...
Unhappy User

yes very frustrating, for me it is every 2 minutes exactly. because i cannot DO ANYTHING, I look at the clock. it does it even though I have my auto save at 15 minutes. Please help!!!

• 1 month later...

Same problem. 10.5.9.9 on Win7 x64. Usually does not come back when it happens; it just hangs indefinitely. 

From event log:

Faulting application name: NitroPDF.exe, version: 10.5.9.9, time stamp: 0x5791f7a4
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23572, time stamp: 0x57fd0651
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000067c65
Faulting process id: 0x10a4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2bd27ff854193
Faulting application path: C:\PROGRA~1\Nitro\PRO10~1\NitroPDF.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Andrew DeMaio

We are having the same problem on Version 11.0.2.110.  It is very annoying and something that needs to be addressed ASAP!!  Windows 10 x64.

Andrew DeMaio

Also, this problem did not occur when I was using the free trial.  It only started after we got the paid, licensed version.  Is there something kind of license checker that holds things up?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Official Nitronaut

Hello everyone,

Since this issue depends on several things, the support team will be able to help troubleshoot and narrow down the culprit. 

We will need some more information from you, so please log a ticket using the following link.

https://www.gonitro.com/support/ticket

We'll be in touch through the support case.

Cheers!

advancedcskills

Count me in this two.. 

Just purchased and it's not opening. 

Win 10 64

did a clean install, opened one pdf.. Now won't open any pdf's, just gets caught in processes, 

Have shut them down and tested a few times.. it's not antivirus stopping it as I am checked. 

Disappointed, to say the least.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:35 AM, Rob said:

Whether I am typing text into a PDF or zooming or scrolling or whatever, the program pauses / hangs about every 5 minutes or less, the page I'm viewing will go slightly blurry and displays the little blue spinning circle in the center of the page while it is having its brain-fart which lasts for about 10 seconds before I can resume working. This isn't anything new.. It has been happening ever since I purchased the pro version. I'm using Windows 10.

Any suggestions???? 

Having the same issues with freezing and spinning blue circle. Now after many suggested uninstalls and reinstalls from help support, now I can not activate my software. Says I have activated this copy too many times. Now I can not even use it. Disappointed for sure. Should have spent more money and bought Adobe version.

• 4 weeks later...
Andrew DeMaio
On 2/10/2017 at 10:35 AM, Rob said:

Any suggestions???? 

All of our users have been having the same exact problem.  It is very, VERY frustrating.  I did not experience this once during the trial period, only when we paid for the licenses did this start to happen.  I have noticed the Write on the Hard Disk will spike whenever there is a freeze up.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had this problem since 02/21/2016, when I upgraded to Nitro V10.  I have worked with several upper tier Nitro support reps on multiple occasions over the past 15 months, allowing them access to my machine remotely to observe this behavior.  They basically all say "OMG that's really bad".  We have called it the Nitro V10 Freeze Issue in my support email thread but that not sure that helps anything.  For me, on a Win 7 64-bit machine with fast processor, 16GB RAM, 6TB storage, the program freezes for a variable amount of time, in a range of 10-200 seconds.  There seems to be no specific user action that causes the freeze, although cropping seems to be a good trigger.  Often I am just scrolling down a document and it will freeze.  I worked with upper level techs and they hypothesized that it was related to the file write function, something Nitro is doing in the background while I am using the program.  I have watched my disk write activity on Windows Task Manager and during the freeze periods my drive shows 100% usage and then drops back to near 0% after the freeze, so I agree that seems to be related.  I have upgraded to V11 and it is slightly less bad, the freeze times seem to resolve more quickly but they still occasionally exceed 60 seconds.

I have had problems with Nitro support constantly closing tickets that I have submitted on this issue and setting them as "Solved" (automatically apparently), even though they did nothing to address the issue.  Then when I report on the issue again, I get a reply that my issue is closed and to start over.  This is almost as annoying as the freeze and I have written tickets on them closing tickets on unresolved issues as well.  I was led by support to believe that this issue was isolated to just a few users (and therefore not important to them to fix) but seeing this thread makes be think it is much more widespread than Nitro wishes to admit.  I am hoping they will devote some resources to address this most annoying issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue with Nitro v11 on Windows 10. Every time I restart my computer, it will open the first or second pdf I try to open and after that: blank. If I try to start the program from the exe, or if I try to open a pdf, just nothing. The spinning blue wheel comes for a few seconds and then nothing. I have tried killing all processes relating to Nitro but that doesn't help either, and the only thing that works is to restart the computer. We can't be expected to restart the computer each time we want to view a pdf!

I can open the pdfs just fine any number of times with Microsoft Edge and Opera browser, so I know that the issue isn't with the pdfs.

Nitro needs to urgently address this, otherwise their program is practically useless for anyone.

And no, please don't ask me to open a support ticket. There are enough people here to demonstrate that this is a major issue. (FYI I have tried uninstalling multiple times and installing the x32 and x64 versions, from the alternate link provided in other threads as well. I have tried uninstalling and doing a Registry cleanup with ccleaner and then reinstalling. Nothing solves this).

• Official Nitronaut
Kelvin B. Villarin

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for posting on our community forums!

I have read the whole thread and I understand everyone here is having a similar 'pausing/hanging' issue. Here's the thing, there are a number of different possible causes for this. To name a few:

1. Opening files from a network location

2. Large files / file-specific 

3. Document History

4. Nitro Pro Quick Start Guide

5. Nitro Cloud plugin

6. Antivirus or Firewall

We need to narrow down the root cause that's why we ask users to submit a support ticket. We try to get files, do some testing, ask probing questions (ex. about their machines/environment/number of users affected) and try to replicate since this does certainly not how it should behave. 

You may submit a support request here:  www.gonitro.com/support/ticket

One of our Technical Support Reps should be able to assist you.

P.S.
If you have an opened ticket and you'll go on leave/holiday and won't be able to respond, please inform the TSR. The automatic closing of tickets are system generated. They close after several days of inactivity (no response from client's end).

tom roberts

i have had this problem of freezing since 2015. A couple of times at least I contacted Tech support who had me reinstall and it seemed to work at the time. But the problem returned soon afterwards. Freezing is so common that i have unfortunately accepted that the program has some design limitations that so far have not been able to be corrected. 

• 4 weeks later...

hi Peoples
I have the same problems and it can not be that these until now have not been solved. With an update to the latest version everything just got worse. The mouse pointer just flipped on the desktop.
What I have to add, I have paid for software only so it is simply not worth Money

Andrew DeMaio

I just recently ran the Clean Uninstall Tool that Nitro sent me to completely uninstall Nitro from my workstation.  I then installed the latest version, 11.0.5.271.  The intermittent freezing is still happening and there is another new annoying problem, the cursor constantly "blinks."  Example, the cursor will be the Hand and it will rapidly be changing between the Hand cursor and the blue circle "Waiting" cursor (Win 10), making it appear to blink.  This makes it very hard when measuring and drawing.

This is such a shame.  This program really is much nicer and easier to use than Adobe, but these are fatal flaws.  If they can't fix this, we're going to have to get a refund.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived