PDFpenPro - Freezing, slow rendering, excessive CPU usage (Apple M1)

Bill Mosca

Bill Mosca

I had an open ticket with Smile for PDFpenPro 13.1 (Mac). I have been experiencing consistent slow/unresponsive PDF rendering with concurrent high CPU utilization (nearly 100%) on an M1 MacBook Pro. I have tried a clean install of PDFpenPro without success. I'd submitted a process sample to Smile at their request. The product is essentially unusable currently. Please advise as to how I should proceed. 

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Bill Mosca,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

In order for me to further assist you with your concern, could you please provide the following?:

-Is the same issue present before upgrading from PDFpen Pro 12.x?

-Does this only happen with a single PDF file? If yes, how was this file created and what software was used (e.g. exported PDF from AutoCAD)?

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Bill Mosca

@AllainU, I first noticed this issue in late August while on verson 13.1. I did not notice the issue earlier versions. (I generally upgrade to the latest version immediately upon release.)

The issue is a general one. It can be reproduced with almost any PDF as far as I can see. 

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Bill Mosca,

Thank you for your response and please note that we created a supported case in your behalf for better handling of your concern.

Thank you and we are looking forward to hearing from you soon through the support ticket.

Cheers!

Francois Menard

I am also experiencing this excessive CPU Usage on a Mac M1 with 13.1. I have retreated back to PDFPen 12.2 which will run under Rosetta without issue.  Is Nitro serious about PDFPen ?

F.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Francois Menard,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums and our sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

With regard to this excessive CPU usage, is it also happening by just opening the program without any PDFs or when any PDFs is open?

Have you also tried performing a MAC updates to see if that will help?

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

• 2 weeks later...
Paul Strasma

I am experiencing the same problem. PDFPen Pro 13.1 is periodically freezing up on my M1 MacBook running OS 11.6. The application display fails to render the page, the CPU goes to 100% but the application doesn't indicate not responding in the Force Quit dialogue box.

This problem did not occur with PDFPen Pro 12.x.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hi @Francois Menard,

I trust you are doing great and you had a wonderful weekend.

Are you still experiencing the same issue? If yes, could you please provide answers to my previous post?

Hello @Paul Strasma,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

To further assist you with your concern, Nitro Support team decided to created a support ticket on your behalf.

For better case handling, kindly respond to the email message that was sent to you through the support case.

Cheers!