PDFpenPro - Freezing, slow rendering, excessive CPU usage (Apple M1)

Bill Mosca

Rafael Cobos

Just wondering if there is an update on this issue. I use the program every day and the same issue occurs at least once a day.

adam stein

I’ve been emailing back and forth with support for weeks. They’re very nice but the focus seems to be on my cpu revving up, and getting activity monitor samples and “top” reports from terminal, and finding old kext files… I’d really like to hear about Nitro’s commitment to a product and user base that is I think decades old and right now needs some care. 

is progress being made to fix these problems? 

just yesterday night I was teaching on zoom… opened up a pdf during a screen share, and it was all just checker boxes. I had to stop the screenshare so I could force quit pdfpen and reopen it. 

if this is happening to so many of us it can’t be the fault of each of our Macs! 
Adam 

• 2 weeks later...
Richard Aube
On 2/11/2022 at 3:04 PM, Bill Mosca said:

It's time to bid PDFpenPro goodbye after many years as a contented user. It's been seven months since I reported this issue to Smile (just prior to acquisition by Nitro) and five months since I reported it directly to Nitro and initiated this thread. I've provided Nitro with process samples and other analytics. No signs of a forthcoming fix and not so much as a minor update since the product was acquired last July. So I'm--very very reluctantly--headed back to Acrobat. Nitro, it seems, wasn't a good home for PDFpenPro after all. 

So sad, I'll soon do the same... I don't understand why there's no update on this issue.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Richard Aube,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

Please be informed we have an internal case open with our product team regarding this issue, however, there is no ETA for the fix yet.

Rest assured our development team is doing their best for a fix.

Thank you so much for your understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

• 1 month later...
adam stein

Here's the latest from Nitro:

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your patience and I trust you are doing great today!

Kindly note that this issue in regard to the random app freezing will be placed on the long-term product roadmap, so unfortunately, there is no short-term solution for it. 

This case will be closed, however, we recommend following our Release Notes located on our site https://community.gonitro.com/forum/24-nitro-pdf-pro-for-mac-pdfpen/

On behalf of Nitro, my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience.

John Colburn

I have the same issue. It is now April 27th and PDFPENPRO still hangs intermittently. Any suggestions from those of you who have already switched, where I should go now?

• 1 month later...
Steven Lefkoff

Is there no update on this? The PDFPenPro app has not been updated in almost a year. Still crashes a few times a day on my M1 Macbook Pro. What is going on? It would be nice if someone at Nitro would just tell us that they aren't working on the software anymore.

adam stein

Yes my app still crashes/freezes/stops rendering frequently on my M1 MacBook Air… you can see my post above for the email when nitro supported basically said fixing this is on our long term roadmap and there’s no short term fix. 
it’s really quite frustrating. I can only assume that smile didn’t know that nitro would abandon this long running beloved piece of software so soon after they sold it to them… I know this won’t happen but I really wish smile would just buy it back and fix it! 

I’ve depended upon pdfpenpro for years! 

what shall we do? Just move to PDF expert?

adam 

Same problem. 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Pro, macOS Monterey 12.4, Nitro PDF Pro 13.2.1

I've updated everything and replaced PDFPenPro with Nitro's latest version. It freezes randomly, and sometimes the pdf that locks it up one time will open properly the next time. Various versions of PDFPenPro did the same on my old iMac with Catalina. It looks like Nitro has inherited a widespread problem and, despite Allain's polite but unhelpful replies, there seems to be no fix in sight. I, too, am ready to bail unless I receive concrete assurance (not empty promises) that this will be resolved shortly.

On 6/16/2022 at 2:40 PM, adam stein said:

Yes my app still crashes/freezes/stops rendering frequently on my M1 MacBook Air… you can see my post above for the email when nitro supported basically said fixing this is on our long term roadmap and there’s no short term fix. 
it’s really quite frustrating. I can only assume that smile didn’t know that nitro would abandon this long running beloved piece of software so soon after they sold it to them… I know this won’t happen but I really wish smile would just buy it back and fix it! 

I’ve depended upon pdfpenpro for years! 

what shall we do? Just move to PDF expert?

adam 

Adam,

Nitro has made it abundantly clear that they have no intention to address this issue anytime soon. I reported this issue to Smile a year ago (prior to  by acquisition by Nitro) and then reported to Nitro directly almost 10 months ago. As recently as April 2022, they've indicated that possible resolution is on a "long-term roadmap." Sadly, it seems clear that PDFPenPro is destined to die as abandonware. 

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello Everyone,

We would like to assure you we are still supporting PDFPen Pro, now known as 'Nitro PDF Pro for Mac'. We just came out with a new build of our Mac software as well, however, 'this high CPU / freezing' issue you have brought to our attention is still being evaluated for a potential fix. 

Rest assured that we will check with our Product team to see if an update is available. 

Again, we do apologize for the delay in mitigating this issue as we know the software is not performing as intended on your computer.