Customization (Quick Access and Favorite Tools) lost

JustME

Hi There,

I have been having this problem for months in the last version of Nitro Pro, so yesterday I upgraded thinking it would solve the problem.

This morning I used the Repair suggestion from above but it hasn't fixed it either.

I am having to reset my QAT a couple of times a day. Is there a fix or can you recommend an alternate program?

Barb

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

This is a terrible bandage over the problem, but you can setup the QAT how you want it, and then export the registry key branch it's stored in, so you can re-import it when the problem comes up again.

This won't fix the underlying problem of the QAT resetting itself, but it will give you a quick way to reimport your setup when the problem does happen.

Please be careful when working in the registry- it's possible to seriously break things (less so with Nitro, but don't blindly change things without a reason).

The branch you want is here: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nitro\Pro\11.0\Settings\QAT or Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nitro\Pro\12.0\Settings\QAT

You'll see all the buttons you've added to the Quick Access Toolbar there- if the items there don't seem to match what you have, this isn't going to be much help to you.

To export this, right-click on the QAT folder, and choose Export.  Give it a name, make sure that Selected Branch is selected, and save it somewhere you can get to easily.

Afterwards,  to use this, double-click on the file, and say Yes.  It will replace whatever is there with the values from the file.  Make sure Nitro is closed when you do this- otherwise your change probably won't take.

Very disappointing that this issue is still outstanding. @Steven Zakulec, thanks for the suggestion. As you said, it is not a solution and a bandaid.

Does not add to the Nitro experience. I don't think I will go to the next paid upgrade if this issue is not resolved.

17 hours ago, gracet said:

> 11.0.3.134

I don't think I will go to the next paid upgrade if this issue is not resolved.

Agreed. We are on 11.0.8.470 and the problem persists.

I am on 12.0.0.112 and it still is a nearly daily problem.  I really really want OCR, fit width, and fit page permanently on my quick access toolbar but they keep going away.  I thought upgrading to 12 would fix it.  ☹️

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 10:29 AM, Hunter said:

I am on 12.0.0.112 and it still is a nearly daily problem.  I really really want OCR, fit width, and fit page permanently on my quick access toolbar but they keep going away.  I thought upgrading to 12 would fix it.  ☹️

I recently purchased and am running 12.0.0.112.  It seems like this is still an issue.  The program appears to be overwriting any and all user customizations.  Quick access tool bars go away.  Favorite tools go away.  Any customizing I do to the review tools like text boxes, rectangles, etc. all go away.  This is very frustrating.

• 1 month later...

I am also having this problem with version 11.  It takes out all of my optimization of my time. I guess a work-around is also always keep Nitro Pro running, and just redo the toolbar on reboots.

• 3 weeks later...

This problem has persisted for over a year.  You guys have written a very good Adobe replacement.  But if this problem persists, I have to begin questioning my purchase.  What gives?

I have stopped using Nitro even though it is my preferred product. If they can't fix this issue which should not be that difficult, they don't appear to care about the user experience. When it is fixed, I may come back or it may be too late. Disappointed

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @gracet @kaai @jeffpedroncelli @Rhoadrunner @JLippey,

Thanks for your responses and on behalf of Nitro, I apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused.

I recommend that you repair your Nitro Pro via the Control Panel > Programs and Features. Please reboot your computer before and after running this repair to ensure that there are no ties to Nitro still active in the background (refer to this article: http://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/repair/000001641)

If it fixed the issue but reoccurred after several days, you can check your registry to see if the changes are being removed when you close Nitro Pro. You can check this by going to Start menu, search for and open 'regedit', then browse to the following location (see attached): HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nitro\Pro\12\Settings\QAT

*VERY IMPORTANT* Adjusting anything in the Windows registry can cause problems. Care should be taken when working in there by saving a backup before making any change. Please refer to this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/322756/how-to-back-up-and-restore-the-registry-in-windows

Any changes made to the Quick Access Toolbar are saved in above registry location when exiting Nitro. To test, kindly add 'Save As' to the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT). Nitro Pro should create a new key in that location when closing (all registry changes are written when exiting Nitro). If you do not see another key appear with 'AVRibbon:Main:SaveAs:Btn', then something in your computer is preventing Nitro from writing back to the registry. This is mostly likely a permission issue with your computer profile.

Thanks for choosing Nitro Pro and I hope this helps!

21 hours ago, AllainU said:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nitro\Pro\12\Settings\QAT

The registry key is properly modified. But after a few restarts, it reverts to its original state.

If this were caused by a permission issue, it would not be changed.

-Jerry

Edited by JLippey

As I just downloaded and purchased this 1 month ago. Where do I get this update to fix this issue? Please send a link for the update and/or explain how to fix this please.

• 4 months later...

Add me to the list of people experiencing this problem, and on v12.10.1.487. My company just purchased an enterprise license and this feature pretty much stopped working right after we did so. The favorite tools disappear randomly, for no reason, in the middle of the day. This is happening to multiple users on multiple computers. The registry information is saved properly, it just loses it all randomly, sometimes multiple times per day. This is probably one of the most user-friendly features of this software. Officially ignoring the problem isn't a very good way to keep customers. So, I'm going to repeat the question since the issue hasn't been addressed in a while ... is this issue going to be addressed?

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Jim BX,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

To further assist you with your concern, a support ticket was created on your behalf and a colleague of mine already sent you an email.

For better case handling, please respond through the support case.

Cheers!

11 hours ago, AllainU said:

Hello @Jim BX,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

To further assist you with your concern, a support ticket was created on your behalf and a colleague of mine already sent you an email.

For better case handling, please respond through the support case.

Cheers!

Is there a real solution for this problem yet? Nitro support continues to take this out of the forum and into "support cases". I've had multiple "support cases" opened and closed for this same issue and it has never been resolved. I've been repeatable told, it must be a User Account permissions issue that doesn't allow Nitro to save the changes. That is not correct, because if that was the case the QAT would NEVER save. But it does save, for a little while, then reverts back to the default after some random amount of times.

Seriously we all paid $100's of dollars for this product, how is NITRO going to fix this?

@Jeffpedroncelli: I will if I get any answers. I got an initial email from someone on the support staff asking for clarification on a couple of things and wanting to set up a remote session. I responded back early yesterday morning and have yet to hear back from them.

Edited by Jim BX

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 2:32 PM, jeffpedroncelli said:

Any chance you can share your answers with the whole class?

Sorry about the delay, this has been in the works all this time. Their support personnel asked me to use Procmon to capture diagnostic information when the issue happened. Did so and sent them the logs back on 3/18/2019. Hadn't heard anything beyond the initial acknowledgement of receiving the files until today, 4/18/2019. Their response today:

Thank you for your time spent documenting this with my colleague, Mitchell.

This will be placed on the long-term product roadmap, so unfortunately, there is no short-term solution for it.

In the meantime, as a workaround, I recommend exporting the QAT for any users reporting this issue.

The keys are saved under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nitro\Pro\12\Settings\QAT

This case will be closed, however, please be aware that Nitro typically releases multiple updates throughout the year.

As others in this thread have stated, I'm beginning to question whether I made the right investment in purchasing this software. It may seem small to a development team that doesn't actually spend all day using their product, but the people that do use it (not me, my employees) find it a huge time-saver over drilling down into menus. 

• 6 months later...
Wayne Eelkema

This issue has bothered me for years. Still an issue with Nitro Pro 13.2.3.26. My workaround?? Try to avoid right clicking a file and clicking "print". While convenient, it loses your favorite tools every time..... Sad there is still no fix.

23 hours ago, Wayne said:

Try to avoid right clicking a file and clicking "print". While convenient, it loses your favorite tools every time..... Sad there is still no fix.

Thanks for that tip, Wayne.