Nitro app will not register in computer

Laura Osborne

Laura Osborne

Hi there,

I am having several issues getting Nitro to register as the default PDF reader in my computer:

I can open Nitro, but if I try to set it as the default PDF reader, the computer doesn't recognize that there is such an app. Every time I click on "set default programs" nothing happens.

Then, I can only open documents if I am already in Nitro. I cannot just go into my documents and click on one to read it, and I definitely cannot open a download or an email attachment. It has to be saved elsewhere, and then I have to go find it from within Nitro before I can even read it.

Please help, the work-arounds are wasting a lot of time.

Thank you,

Laura

• Official Nitronaut

Hello @Laura Osborne

Thanks for your message - I'm happy to assist you.

So that we can troubleshoot the problem, please provide me with the following:

- What exact version of Nitro you are using. You can find this information by opening Nitro. Go to the Help tab, then click About Nitro Pro.
- A screen shot of what you are seeing or any error message you are receiving
- Have you tried running the cleanup tool and update to the latest Nitro Pro 13 build?
- Do you have another PDF program installed? 

I look forward to your response.

Laura Osborne

Hi Leslie,

Thank you for your help.

- The exact version of Nitro is 13.30.2.587

- I can't seem to attach a screenshot, but basically Nitro does not show up as an option when trying to set it to the default pdf reader.

- What clean up tool?

- We just recently installed Adobe PDF reader so that we could at least open pdf attachments before deciding where to save them. This was done maybe a week ago, and the problem was occurring before then.

• Official Nitronaut

Hello @Laura Osborne

Please use the tool I have provided below to remove all files associated with Nitro Pro and reboot your system.

https://downloads.gonitro.com/professional_13.50.4.1013/install-cleanup/install-cleanup.zip

NOTE: This clean-up tool will erase any existing signature files within Nitro, so please save them to another location before using the clean-up tool in order to keep them. 
Please see this link for backing up custom stamps/signatures: https://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/stamps/000004307

When your system is back up, close all your open applications and install Nitro Pro 13.50.4.1013 from the page I have provided below:
https://www.gonitro.com/nps/product-details/downloads

I hope this helps! Please let me know how that goes.