Error code: 0x40000029 on some documents after updating to 13.53.3.1073

Ryan W

After updating to 13.53.3.1073, documents that previously opened now give an error:

"The document C:\users\user\Appdata\local\microsoft\windows\inetcache\content.outlook\IX9JV6GM\988947.pdf could not be opened. Please contract Nitro Support for assistance. Error Code: 0x40000029"

Even saving the email to the desktop to avoid ending up in a temp directory made no difference? Version 13.50.4.1013 does not have this issue with these PDFs in question.

Edited by Allain Umailin

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Ryan W,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

To further investigate this new error message, please send us the a few sample files by sending me a private message (hover your mouse on top of my name 'AllainU' and select 'Message') so I can replicate it on my end. 

Lastly, how were these files created and what software was used?

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Ryan McCormack

We have also had numerous users run into this issue since Monday 12/13, and this appears to be related to Docusign generated documents. We have temporarily uninstalled Nitro Pro 13 and started Nitro 12 trials since there is no way to roll-back to a previous build of 13. Is there a fix on the horizon for this issue? Would it be possible to get a temporary serial to activate 12 for our licensed 13 users if the trial period expires before a fix is released? Please advise, thanks!

Edited by Ryan McCormack

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Ryan McCormack,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums and our sincere apologies fro the inconvenience.

Could you please also provide a few DocuSign generated PDFs for further testing on our end? To send them via private message, hover your mouse on top of my name 'AllainU' and select 'Message'.

Lastly, we would love to know your Nitro PDF Pro 13 serial number so we can provide the direct installer links for 13.50 build.

Hi @Massimo Melgrati,

Our apologies for the inconvenience as well.

While we are still investigating, please uninstall your current program, reboot your machine and install Nitro PDF Pro 13.50 using below direct Italian MSI installer links:

x32 https://downloads.gonitro.com/professional_13.50.4.1013/it/retail/nitro_pro13_ba_x86.msi 
x64 https://downloads.gonitro.com/professional_13.50.4.1013/it/retail/nitro_pro13_ba_x64.msi

To know if you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows system, please refer to this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/15056/windows-32-64-bit-faq

Important: If you are using Chrome or any of the Chromium-based browsers (e.g., Vivaldi, etc.) and you are unable to access the above installer links, you're more than likely experiencing the results of a new security feature that was silently pushed out to the browsers, which blocks .exe/.msi/etc downloads without any visible error or prompt on the browser's frontend user space. In order to bypass this, please try these steps:

a. Right-click the link you're trying to download, and select "Save link as..."
b. Choose your save location and select "Save"
c. On the bottom edge of your browser window, the Downloads bar should now appear and the file will show up with a red error icon, attempting to block the download. Press the caret button and select "Keep"

After installation, you can activate by opening Nitro Pro, clicking on the Help tab > About Nitro Pro > Activate by entering your serial number 50497x-xxxxxx-185049

Lastly, please also provide a few sample files to help our internal investigation of this error message.  To send them via private message, hover your mouse on top of my name 'AllainU' and select 'Message'.

Thank you very much in advance and we are looking forward to hearing back from both of you soon.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Shawn McNeece,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums and sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

We recently became aware of this issue with Nitro PDF Pro where certain documents generate this error.  Our developers are current working on getting this resolved.

In the meantime you have a couple of options.  You can open the file in another program such as Chrome, Edge or the free Adobe Reader and then print it to the Nitro PDF Creator printer.  The new PDF created will now work in Nitro PDF Pro without error.  

The other option is to uninstall Nitro PDF Pro Version 13.53 and install Version 13.50 which does not have this issue.

In order to provide the correct installers, could you please provide the serial number of your Nitro PDF Pro 13? This matters because our business installers are different from the online ones.

To send it via private message, hover your mouse on top of my name 'AllainU' and select 'Message'.

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Ryan W,

Please be informed we have an internal case open with our product team regarding this issue, however, there is no ETA for the fix yet.

Rest assured our development team is doing their best for a fix and all updates will be available on this page: https://www.gonitro.com/nps/product-details/release-notes 

Please check for updates on page above from time to time.

Thank you so much for your understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Reg King @Shawn McNeece,

The release of the new build that contains the fix for the issue you raised is targeted for the next couple of months. 

Updated information will be posted on our website ( https://www.gonitro.com/support/documentation/release-notes ) as we firm up the timing and scope of the upcoming release. 

In the meantime, you have a couple of options. You can open the file in another program such as Chrome, Edge or the free Adobe Reader and then print it to the Nitro PDF Creator printer. The new PDF created will now work in Nitro PDF Pro without error.  

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Edited by Allain Umailin

• 2 weeks later...
Partha Pratim Das

Hi,

I have also encountered the same issue after updating to  13.53.3.1073, once I am trying to open pdf files it comes with an error code error code 0x400000029, please contact nitro support for assistance.  This error is for certain pdf files. The error was not present in the previous version of NitroPro. So it would be really great to have access to the previous version of the installer (English, 64 bit). Otherwise when we can expect a fix for this?

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Partha Pratim Das,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums and sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

The build that should fix this error is soon to be released but its date is not yet available at the moment.

Could you please provide the serial number of your Nitro PDF Pro 13? 

To send it via private message, hover your mouse on top of my name 'AllainU' and select 'Message'.

This matters because our business installers are different from the online ones.

Same problem as others.  Running the 13.53.3.1073 and getting the 0x400000029 error when attempting to open some files.  Any updates on when we'll see the fix or how we can get back to an older version?  (which I'm reluctant to do that since your previous updates fixed java vulnerabilities).  Any updates on release dates is appreciated.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @James Black @Partha Pratim Das,

The release of the new build that contains the fix for this error message when opening certain PDF files is targeted but no ETA yet on its date of release. 

Updated information will be posted on our website ( https://www.gonitro.com/support/documentation/release-notes ) as we firm up the timing and scope of the upcoming release. 

In the meantime, you have a couple of options. You can open the file in another program such as Chrome, Edge or the free Adobe Reader and then print it to the Nitro PDF Creator printer. The new PDF created will now work in Nitro PDF Pro without error.  

The other option is to uninstall Nitro PDF Pro Version 13.53, reboot your machine, and install Version 13.50 which does not have this issue.  You can download this version of Nitro PDF Pro here:

x64   https://downloads.gonitro.com/professional_13.50.4.1013/en/retail/nitro_pro13_ba_x64.msi 
x32   https://downloads.gonitro.com/professional_13.50.4.1013/en/retail/nitro_pro13_ba_x86.msi

Important: If you are using Chrome or any of the Chromium-based browsers (e.g., Vivaldi, etc.) and you are unable to access the above installer links, you're more than likely experiencing the results of a new security feature that was silently pushed out to the browsers, which blocks .exe/.msi/etc downloads without any visible error or prompt on the browser's frontend user space. In order to bypass this, please try these steps:

a. Right-click the link you're trying to download, and select "Save link as..."
b. Choose your save location and select "Save"
c. On the bottom edge of your browser window, the Downloads bar should now appear and the file will show up with a red error icon, attempting to block the download. Press the caret button and select "Keep"

Please let us know if you need anything else as we appreciate your business.

Josh Fredrickson
On 1/31/2022 at 11:37 AM, Allain Umailin said:

Hello @James Black @Partha Pratim Das,

The release of the new build that contains the fix for this error message when opening certain PDF files is targeted but no ETA yet on its date of release. 

Looking at the release dates of the last 10 releases for Nitro pro and it seems like at least every two months a new version is released.  Quite often even several releases in the same month.

The last version with this bug was released on December 7th so if we follow that pattern I would expect a release in the next week or two.  Does that seem like a fair guess or is it likely to take longer.

Just trying to figure out if I need to reach out to 50 clients who have the new version and roll back or just wait a week or two and patch to newer version.

17 hours ago, Josh Fredrickson said:

Looking at the release dates of the last 10 releases for Nitro pro and it seems like at least every two months a new version is released.  Quite often even several releases in the same month.

The last version with this bug was released on December 7th so if we follow that pattern I would expect a release in the next week or two.  Does that seem like a fair guess or is it likely to take longer.

Just trying to figure out if I need to reach out to 50 clients who have the new version and roll back or just wait a week or two and patch to newer version.

The version released yesterday seems to have fixed it for me, at least the document I submitted when I posted this thread.