Features like highlight and cross out not working

Greg Mason

I have documents that the properties show there is no security and all actions (such as printing, changes, etc.) are allowed, but features such as highlight and cross out do not work in Nitro Pro (13.70.2.40).  I've tried extracting pages to a new document and have also tried printing to a new document, but both attempts yield the same result.  

Does anyone know what causes this problem or have a workaround?  I hope someone knows the fix to this, because it is causing a problem for me and I won't be able to continue using the program if I can't figure out the solution.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Greg 

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Greg Mason,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

If this is only happening with a single PDF document, please be aware of the following:

1. If the file has been scanned, it is likely that OCR needs to be run to convert the image to text. To run OCR, please refer to this article: https://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/OCR/000004314

2. If the file has been reprinted to PDF (Nitro PDF Creator), the text may actually be individual vector objects and this can be fixed by also running the OCR tool.

An alternative workaround to the Highlight tool is:

1. Pick a highlight shape of their choice under the Review > Shapes.
2. Create a selection using the Shape tool.
3. Go into the properties of the Shape and under appearance choose the Line and Fill Color, and change the opacity to 50%.

More details of the workaround can be found in this article: https://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/OCR/000004488

Should you have further questions, please do not hesitate to reach out again.

• 2 weeks later...