Can't find serial number! Can't use support without it.

Margaret Krebs

Margaret Krebs

Just purchased NitroPro for Mac.  Installed and registered it. Unable to open it.  Tried to use the Activation Help.  It asks for a serial number.  All I have is an activation code - which is not the same thing! No way to contact anyone in real time.  There is no support phone number that I can find. And I can't use the support functions without a serial number. HELP!!!!

• Official Nitronaut
Reymund Oyong

Greetings @Margaret Krebs

Thank you for reaching out through our Community Forums!

I understand that you were able to install and activate Nitro PDF Pro for Mac but there is an issue when opening / accessing the application. 
Could you please provide more details about the not being able to open the application? Are you getting an error message when accessing the software?

Regarding the support case, you can submit a ticket here https://www.gonitro.com/support/ticket/pdf-pro-mac using your name, email address, and license code.

Kind regards, 

Margaret Krebs

Hello again,

I think the question has changed and there are two additional questions (related?).  My husband, who uses the laptop, worked on the newly installed and activated Nitro and managed to get the program to come up reliably.  However...

-He can open a .pdf document from the program, but if he opens the same pdf document just by clicking on the file itself, it is opened in the basic Acrobat it was saved in.  The same kind of thing happens when he tries to download a document from his bank.  It automatically opens in Acrobat.  We assumed that we needed to uninstall Acrobat, but there is no uninstall program for Acrobat in the applications file.

-Will uninstalling Acrobat fix this problem?

-Is there something else he could do so that pdf files automatically open in Nitro? 

-If you have any insight as to how to remove Acrobat, we'd appreciate that, as well.

-I have a PC. I've had Nitro for many years.  I used to be able to open the Acrobat pdf's my husband sent me. They are the basic Acrobat files.  Now I cannot.  I get an error message that says something like either I don't have the software to open the file or the file is corrupted.

Thanks,

Margaret Krebs

• Official Nitronaut
Reymund Oyong

Hi @Margaret Krebs

Glad to hear that Nitro PDF Pro is already installed on the Mac computer. 
To open PDF files in Nitro PDF Pro, you will need to set it as the default PDF viewer. Please try the steps below on your Mac machine:

1. Select a PDF file on your desktop or in Finder
2. Once the file is selected, choose File > Get Info.
3. Locate the "Open With" section in the resulting window and change it to Nitro PDF Pro.
4. Click the "Change All" button that appears below and Nitro PDF Pro will be the default.

Regarding the Nitro PDF Pro for Windows, ensure that the software is installed on the computer. You can search for Nitro in the list of programs installed on the Windows machine. 
Once confirmed it is installed, below are the steps on how to set it as the default PDF viewer. 

1. Right-click on a PDF file icon, then select "Open With" and then select "Choose another app".
2. Scroll down to the entry for Nitro Pro and then click on Nitro Pro to select this program.
3. Check the box for always to "Always Use the Selected Program" and then click "OK".

Kind regards, 

• 3 weeks later...
Margaret Krebs

Hi Reymund,

We never thanked you for your help.  Your instructions worked and my husband is able to use his Nitro program as designed.

I also appreciate the reasons you gave me instructions, as well, on making Nitro my default.  In this case, they weren't needed as I did so years ago.  I just didn't have a clue how to do it on an Apple. But I understand and appreciate your 'covering the waterfront.'

FYI:

Before Nitro was my husband's default, I was unable to download acrobat files my husband had created from his bank.  I kept getting an error message that said something like either I didn't have the software to open the file or the file is corrupted. Now I am able to open the same files. I submit that Acrobat may be waging a not so subtle war on Nitro?  Also, the Acrobat installed on my husband's Apple has no uninstall program to go with it.  We are unable to get rid of it.

Thanks again,

Margaret Krebs