PDF print kills OCR and makes file huge

JustinF

I am using Nitro version 11.0.3.173 and attempting to use it to print a six page contract that is a PDF file with five fillable text forms.  This original file is 234KB.   When I open it in Nitro, fill it in and print it with Nitro PDF Printer the result is a 8,339KB file.  If I optimize the Nitro PDF Printer for smaller file (web ready) it yields a 8,330KB file.  If I print it using the Adobe PDF printer it is only 2,880KB.

Meanwhile if I open the original file in Adobe PDF and fill it out and print it with Nitro PDF Printer the result is only 292KB.  If I open it in Adobe and print it with Adobe PDF printer the file is 125KB.

I've found Nitro seems to get rid of the OCR data when it 'prints' with either printer.

I can't email someone an 8 megabyte file when it used to be 125KB.  Am I doing something wrong?

• Official Nitronaut

Hello @JustinF,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

Without looking and testing the file itself, it is hard to pinpoint what exactly is causing the file size to blow up. There are a couple of ways you can reduce the file. You can optimize the file, the same way you are already doing it.

Also, instead of printing to PDF after making the changes, please try to do a Save As. 

For a full explanation on how using the 'Save As' function reduces the file size of an edited PDF, please read this article from our PDF Blog:

Differences between Save & Save As

I hope this helps!

Archived