Combine not working with .doc and .pdf together but does combine multiple .pdfs

rnelson

Have a user who is using ver. 8.5.0.26  and can't use the Combine function to successfully combine Word .doc's (97-2003) with pdfs although multiple pdfs will combine normally. Using Win 7 and Office Pro Plus 2016. Have tried repair install of Nitro Pro and then deactivation, uninstall, reboot and full install and still same symptom. Then I saw the cleanup tool on one of the other solutions here in the forum so downloaded that then went through the uninstall, ran the cleanup tool and manually deleted any references to Nitro in the Windows registry. Reinstalled and same problem. Is this a bug? Any suggestions? Thank you very much.

NitroPro not combining docs and pdfs.docx

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

So, I tried to reproduce this on my copy of Nitro 8 (which is 8.5.7.3), and I was unable to duplicate this.  I used Combine inside of Nitro to combine the documents instead of doing it from anywhere else.  I only used 6 files- 3 PDF and 3 Word docs in case that matters.

My suggestion would be to update to the last released version of Nitro 8 (8.5.7.3) unless there's a particular reason you haven't updated.

Here's the download links:

32 bit:

http://install.nitropdf.com/pro8/en/retail/nitro_pro8.exe

64 bit:

http://install.nitropdf.com/pro8/en/retail/nitro_pro8_x64.exe

Good luck, and tell me if this helped.

Thanks very much for the testing and information, Steven. I downloaded the 64-bit installer from your link. Then dactivated the license, removed the NitroPro software, ran the Nitro Cleaner utility, ran CCLeaner reg cleaner over it, manually removed any instance of Nitro from Windows registry that I could find from searching in regedit, rebooted then installed the newer version. Unfortunately, still the same problem. This is isolated to one PC as other users on other PCs using these versions are able to combine okay. The workaround for this user is to just convert any Word .docs tp .pdf first then Nitro will combine the .pdfs fine. Thank you though. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

We are having a similar issue.  Using 11.0.3.173 in a Win10 environment.  We have Nitro Pro installed on 2 different Win10 PCs.  One Surface and one PC.

We have a similar issue as the OP in this thread but with Powerpoint (O365).  We are a fairly new install.  We were running a week with no issues.  Daily the users combine 3-4 PDFs and a PPT (.pptx).  They were creating 2-3 of this combined documents daily with no issue.

On the morning of 25 April, I was called in to look at one users problem.  Nitro would error out (can't remember exactly, but basically saying it couldn't convert the powerpoint).  We ended-up saving a new version of the powerpoint file and try the combine again...success.  In the process, we noticed that each time the combine failed, it was deleting one of the source PDFs.  Luckily, it was an easily re-creatable file.  It was only when the combine failed that it 'consumed' the first file listed in the combine.  On a successful combine, no such problem.

I noted and said "if it happens again, let me know."  This morning, 26 April our second user called me with the exact same issue.  Conversion of powerpoint would fail and one of the source PDFs would be 'consumed'.  I use that word because the file is just gone...doesn't appear in deleted items or anything.  Combined file has a totally different name, so it's not an overwrite issue.

2 things:

1)  One of the primary advantages (for us) to using Nitro over AA was that you could do the combine of different document types, without having to create the PDFs in the Office application (as the user above did on his workaround.)  The 'combine' capability is a feature of Nitro and we need it to work reliably.

2)  More concerning is the deletion/consuming of source documents.  Up to this point we have been lucky that they were easily re-generated documents.  But it adds to workload and the risk of losing a not-so-easily re-generated document is not something we can live with.

As I said, I'm new to Nitro and these forums.  So if there are logs or anything I can turn-on, use or post to help track down the cause I'd greatly appreciate the help.

TIA

Steve

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

I'd say try doing a repair install (http://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/repair/000001641), but in the likely event that doesn't solve the issue, you'll need to contact support: https://www.gonitro.com/support/ticket

You'll also want to contact your account manager and let them know about the issue, because data loss is never acceptable.

• Official Nitronaut
Kelvin B. Villarin

Hi SteveC and Rnelson,

Thanks for posting on our community forums!

This is certainly not how it should behave. In order to figure out what's caused this, please submit a support request here:  www.gonitro.com/support/ticket

Please attach the documents you are trying to combine so we can try and replicate the issue on our end. 

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue.  It converted Word docs to PDF last week but decided to stop this week.  I submitted a support ticket but haven't had much luck with support in the past so I'm following this to hopefully see what the solution is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Official Nitronaut

Hello DanaPV,

I can see that you already submitted a ticket for this.

My colleague handling the case will assist you directly.

Cheers!

Archived