Collapse Bookmarks

Mike

I'm running NitroPro 10 and would like all the bookmarks to be collapsed at startup. I can right click and collapse them but their state does not remain when I reopen the pdf. Can this be done?

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

For a document, you can set it to not open the Bookmarks pane.  In the document, go to File, then Change View.  Set Navigation to Page only, and then you'll need to save the document.  Once you reopen it, the bookmarks pane will be collapsed.

Beyond that, you'll want to file a support ticket to see if there's another way to do it: https://www.gonitro.com/support/ticket

I appreciate the response and understand how to open and close the bookmarks pane but my question is how to collapse the actual bookmarks, not the entire pane.

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

Okay- on my copy of Nitro 10, clicking the + sign in front of the bookmark will expand or collapse the bookmark.

Is that what you're asking?

Almost... collapse the bookmark, exit Nitro, open the pdf back up. Is the bookmark still collapsed? I have a very long bookmark tree and I want two primary bookmarks expanded with all their children collapsed.

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

I don't see an easy way to do this- maybe support knows.  Otherwise, you might be able to do something with Javascript on the document open.

• 4 years later...

There is a way to do this, somewhat awkward.

Find an old copy of Adobe Acrobat.

Almost any version will work.

I use Acrobat X Pro - no longer supported.

Install on computer.

Some functions don't work, so I switched to Nitro for most tasks. 

After compiling document in Nitro, bookmarks default to open position when saving.

Bookmarks show as open regardless of collapsed position when created.

After saving document in Nitro, 

Save as a new document e.g. "Name" Test.

Then open the new document in Acrobat.

Open  bookmarks from L panel. 

Adjust the bookmark positioning - open / closed - then save.

Close the Acrobat document.

Reopen document in Nitro,

Bookmarks should open in position saved in Acrobat.  

Can rename to original document name. 

If some funky stuff shows up in Acrobat and it won't save, like page out of range...

Go back and open Nitro document and delete offending pages.

Then repeat process in Acrobat.

Can reinsert deleted pages in final document from Nitro.

Tedious, but works. 

• 9 months later...
Mark Fisher

Mark Veckman's solution worked for me, or at least solved a similar problem. The nested bookmarks were opened or closed in a random order after I completed my Nitro work. I wanted a default of everything closed, but could not make Nitro do that.

I used the current version of Nitro (13.67.0.45), and I did not have to use an old version of Acrobat Reader. I used  the current Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (2022.001.20169).

Just use Acrobat Reader to set the open - closed bookmark pattern to what you want. Then do a SaveAs from Acrobat. That fixed the PDF's open-closed bookmark arrangement for subsequent openings. Rename the PDF as needed. 

• 1 year later...
Bill Ferguson

I admire the diligence of the two Marks, but surely there is an easier way to solve the annoying appearance of the Bookmark pane every time a file is opened.  What does tech support have to say on this?  Thank you.

Bill F.