Probs after Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Jamie

I am finding the application so slow it is unusable since the Windows 10 Fall Update was applied. I searched the internet and found a couple of hits on other forums where users are complaining of the same issue. It is taking 30-60 seconds to open. The version is 11.0.3.134. Once the application is open clicking the tabs is also very slow. The PC utilisation is very low so it isn't a PC performance issue.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Official Nitronaut

Hello @Jamie,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

Please use the tool I have provided below to remove all files associated with Nitro Pro and reboot your system.

http://install.nitropdf.com/support/downloads/cleanup.zip

Then kindly clear the downloads folder, delete all downloaded Nitro installers and try reinstalling again? This step is important because we noticed that if you are saving all the installers you download in the same folder (like the downloads folder) the EXE can pick up any MSI installed in that folder, and may pick-up one of the older builds instead of the new one.

Reboot your computer. Once it is back open, please use the updated installer of Nitro Pro 11 here: https://www.gonitro.com/support/downloads

If the issue persists, please open a support ticket here: https://www.gonitro.com/support/ticket

Hope this helps!

13 hours ago, Leslie V. said:

Hello @Jamie,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

Please use the tool I have provided below to remove all files associated with Nitro Pro and reboot your system.

http://install.nitropdf.com/support/downloads/cleanup.zip

Then kindly clear the downloads folder, delete all downloaded Nitro installers and try reinstalling again? This step is important because we noticed that if you are saving all the installers you download in the same folder (like the downloads folder) the EXE can pick up any MSI installed in that folder, and may pick-up one of the older builds instead of the new one.

Reboot your computer. Once it is back open, please use the updated installer of Nitro Pro 11 here: https://www.gonitro.com/support/downloads

If the issue persists, please open a support ticket here: https://www.gonitro.com/support/ticket

Hope this helps!

I have done the above and it worked for a while but it has once again slowed down, where clicking each tab takes a long time and now I just got a 401. I don't know what the application does when I click a tab.

• Power User

I have the same problem, also since the latest Windows 10 update. I've had to re-install Nitro twice now. It works fine for a few days, then gets slower and slower starting until it becomes unusable. Using the clean-up tool and re-installing brings it back, but not for long. Even then, right after installing, copying text to the paste buffer can take up to 10 seconds and preparing a document to print takes 5-10 seconds (the time between pressing the "print" button and seeing the print dialog to prepare the print-out). I'm using Version 11.0.6.326

• Power User

Having re-installed yesterday I've already notice Nitro slowing down again today.

I also noticed that when I click the print button, while I am waiting for the print settings to appear the document zoom goes crazy - I briefly see a Zoom level of -2147483648% before it settles back to 100% and the print dialog box opens.

I'd insert a screenshot showing this, but I don't know how to :)

I have a support case, if I get a resolution I will post it here for everyone.

I am doubtful as the person managing my support case has just asked me all the questions that I need to fill out a support request, like;

Version - Was in the original ticket.

Any updates - told them Fall Update in the ticket.

When did it start - told them after Fall Update in the ticket.

Any errors - told them it just goes slow.

Screenshot - I actually attached a video of the behaviour. 

Confidence in getting this resolved - very low :-)

• Power User

De-installation and re-installation is also a time consuming workaround as all settings, stamps and signatures are lost in the process...

I have posted the video of the behaviour I am experiencing. You will see when I select menu items for the first time during an application session that the response is very slow. When I revisit the same menu item in that application session the response is fast. If I reinstall it works for a while but quickly reverts back to this behaviour.

Nitro worked out how to solve my problem.

They just closed my support ticket, they did nothing at all! 

Now it is closed I have to jump through all the hoops again to open a new ticket.

I get it Nitro - I give up.

• Official Nitronaut
Kelvin B. Villarin

Hi @Jamie,

My sincere apologies for the inconvenience. I found your ticket and I'll be assisting you from this point on. 

Hi @jconzelman,

I'll create a ticket on your behalf. I will do my best to fix the issue.

Magnus Nystrom

Just want to add that I have the same problem in Nitro Pro 10.5.8.44. It's soo slow that the program can hardly be used anymore. Pls fix asap. Thanks.

Magnus Nystrom

I can also add that just going from one menu to another  (for example from Home to Edit) takes about 5 seconds (on a win 10 desktop, 64bit). Very odd indeed.

Same here with NitroPro 10.after the Fall Creators Update.

We can't even see the open nitropdf window, it's active on the task bar, but not usable.

It's also so slow...

Have tried to lodge a ticket but after clicking Submit, I just get a spinning wheel.

Tried to submit on a Win 10 PC with Firefox and Chrome, plus a Mac on Chrome.

That's one way to reduce tickets :(

• Power User

My ticket resulted in a request to de-install my version and re-install an "enterprise version" from a link sent to me. Unfortunately it made no difference - I still have the problem.

One question to those experiencing problems - which Antivirus software do you use? I use Bitdefender - just in case there is a common denominator.

• Power User

No need to deactivate, but if you clear out all the Nitro support files to perform a totally clean install then you will need add your license again to activate the new installation, so make sure you have it to hand.

Reinstalling (4 times now) hasn't helped me me (or others) - it works for a day or two then slows down again.

I have been working with Nitro. I have performed a fresh installation with and without "Bitdefender" enabled. The result is the same.

I am finding it doesn't even work for a day or two anymore, it is slow out of the box.

Opening a PDF takes a long time and if I click the print icon I can go and make a cup of coffee (exaggeration). 

In my opinion, this is related to the Fall Update.

Joachim Herbert

Nitro does not seem to be the only program to be effected: MFC Ribbon slow on first load/show

"Since the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 2017, all MFC applications that use the Ribbon start up very, very slow and even seem to hang. Clicking the main button to show the menu panel then again seems to hang for seconds (!) until its shown."

Any word from NITRO on this?

I did a fresh install of Windows 10 Fall Edition .16299.19 and to my surprise, the issue is not present at all. It appears that upon a fresh installation the MFC Ribbon issue is not present.

I am still testing at this stage before I respond to my open ticket.

I have installed, Windows, Nitro, Office 2016, Chrome and few other applications. 

I am thinking the ribbon issue you are mentioning might be due to legacy DLLs perhaps not being replaced or updated during the Fall update process that is causing a conflict.

• Power User

That seems be a reasonable explanation - Nitro must be an MFC application that uses the ribbon or the higher-resolution toolbar. Nitro certainly has a high resolution toolbar. This also explains why we see the problem in earlier versions (e.g. 10) of Nitro too.

Archived