Convert to Excel

Dazed

I attempted to convert a PDF to Excel.  The converted file does not include the column headers and the numbers are converted as text.  Am I doing something wrong or is there an easy way to resolve these issues?  Thanks!

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

You probably didn't do anything wrong- there's only a few options for the conversion.  All of the options under listed under File, Preferences, Conversion, or by clicking the Options button once you're on the Convert to Excel screen.

Steven thanks for the reply.  Does this mean that there is no way for Nitro to bring column headings into excel from a PDF and that numbers aren't converted from text to numbers?  That seems curious for "conversion" software.  

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

Nitro should be able to do this, as long as the software recognizes the fields.  Are the fields you want included in the print area? It looks like Nitro respects the print area when creating a PDF from the file, so if the headings are outside of that, that might be the fix you need.

Also, try setting the "Detect and convert headers and footers" under Plain text is set- I'm not entirely sure if that also applies here or not.

There doesn't appear to be a way to force or guide Nitro to better results aside from the above- if you'd like extra options, be sure to let Nitro know.

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

This may also be a silly idea, but check the conversion of the table when you convert to a Word doc.  The OCR seems to have less constraints, and you might get a better table (that you could then paste into Excel).

I tried the conversion to Word then copied/pasted that into Excel.  That worked better in that the rows were editable and the numbers were actually recognized as such, but there were some issues that were less than ideal.  However, you might be onto something re the print area.  I was unable to edit the headings.  I didn't set any print area and the entire page was visible on screen so I don't know where or how to change the print area.

I can't believe that I am the only person that wants to use Nitro to convert PDFs to Excel so there must be a way to make it work.  It would be greatly appreciated if someone from Nitro would join this discussion.

• 2 months later...

Archived