Auto-Rotate in Print dialog not working

Daniel

Hi, we've upated from Nitro Pro v11.0.6.326 to v11.0.7.411 recently and noticed that the setting 'Auto-rotate and center pages' found in Print -> Page Scaling doesn't seem to work anymore. This is an essential feature when printing documents that contain both portrait and landscape  pages. The current version always prints portrait, regardless of the Auto-rotate setting and the actual rotation of the pages in the document. If the PDF is all landscape, we can still apply the rotate function provided by the printer driver, but when printing mixed documents, that's no help. Anything I'm missig here?

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

Sadly this is an issue with that release:

Known Issues

‘Auto - rotate and center pages’ option in Page Scaling settings under print menu does not work as expected. The printed document will not be rotated.

Workaround: Select ‘Use PDF page size to select paper source’ in Page Scaling settings. This will automatically rotate and center pages.

Thanks Steve. Your workaround seems to help, but only partially. There is still a problem when pages are of different sizes. E.g. page 1 is A4 portrait, and page 2 is A3 landscape. In this case page 2 is rotated correctly, but it is not scaled down to A4 as expected. Instead page 2 is printed in original size on A4, cutting off lower and right side of the document. This happens regardless of the page scaling setting ('shrink to fit printable area'). My guess is that's because we have chosen to ‘Use PDF page size to select paper source’, leading Nitro Pro to assume the printer will use A3 for this page, and consider itself out of the woods. Can we expect this to be fixed with the next release?

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

I don't know- the next release is supposed to be out shortly, but I don't know what's supposed to be in that release beyond the post at the top.

• 1 month later...

This is really an annoying issue and I already had a support request for this some months ago. It seems that Nitro is unable and/or unwilling to fix this.
My work-around: Install Adobe Acrobat Reader for printing - it's free and it works 100%!

• 3 weeks later...

This is a joke! Page orientation is a bug that existed for ever and now I should pay for an upgrade to Nitro 12? I'd better stay with Adobe Acrobat Reader for printing!

On 26.2.2018 at 11:32 PM, Mario K. said:

@Beat @Daniel - the page orientation printing issue is fixed in our next version that we plan on releasing at the beginning of April.  Hope this information helps. 

48 minutes ago, Beat said:

This is a joke! Page orientation is a bug that existed for ever and now I should pay for an upgrade to Nitro 12? I'd better stay with Adobe Acrobat Reader for printing!

Perhaps it's fixed in v11.0.8, who knows. But I agree we you on the part with the joke. FWIW, I have instructed my users to make Adobe Reader their default app to open PDFs, and use Nitro only when they have to. Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 5:32 PM, Mario K. said:

@Beat @Daniel - the page orientation printing issue is fixed in our next version that we plan on releasing at the beginning of April.  Hope this information helps. 

Hi Mario, can you please confirm that the update you are referring to is an incremental update to Nitro 11?

Archived