OCR Chinese, Korean and Japanese text

Ashlin Redpath

Ashlin Redpath

Hi,

The documentation suggests that OCR s available for Chinese etc. but under my OCR choose language in Nitro 11.0.3 there are no options for Chinese *simplified or traditional) Japanese or Korean.

Help, I need to OCR a Chinese document so I can get it translated.

• I agree 1

• 10 months later...
  • Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @tingchan@citiccapital.com @Ace,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

At the moment, Nitro Pro only supports English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish and Brazilian Portuguese in OCR.

We're also working on supporting Simplified Chinese, Korean and Japanese languages but no ETA on when it will be available.

Thanks for choosing Nitro Pro and I hope this helps!

• 1 year later...
Owen Jenkins

Hello

The post above talking about Japanese language support. Is there an update? does NItro PDF now support Japanese?

Thanks in Advance

Edited by AllainU

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Owen Jenkins,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

Unfortunately, Japanese language is not yet possible at the moment and we are always looking to improve Nitro Pro that is why customer’s feedback are important to us.

If you would like to request a change in how Nitro handles Japanese language, you can submit the request directly to our Product Team using the link: https://community.gonitro.com/forum/12-product-improvement/

While we cannot guarantee each feature request submitted will be granted, rest assured our development team will be notified through above website and all updates will be available on this page: https://www.gonitro.com/nps/product-details/downloads 

Please check for updates on page above from time to time.

Thank you and I hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

Its been over 2 years since this suggestion. My post in the product improvement forum has had 0 replies.  It is imperative that you understand the world does not only deal in documents in English or other western non unicode languages.  NitroPDF is good but without language support it becomes an unusable product. I can't even save a file when dealing with non english text. Please highly consider support for unicode languages.

Without it I am unfortunately unable to renew my subscription.

Thank you.

• I agree 1

• 9 months later...
SEYOUNG KIM
To the program developer

Thanks for the powerful program.

However, it is very unfortunate that there is no support for Korean yet.

For Korean like Foxit software
We strongly ask for support for updates.

Please

• 1 month later...
Joe Raymond

There is a bit of a troublesome workaround (and it does not address the OCR issues) ...

I was helping my ex fill out some forms which require Japanese input.  

Nitro Pro accepts the Japanese text input using the IME, but upon saving the file, the double-byte text (using MS-Gothic as the font) disappears, regardless of whether I used kanji, kana, or double-wide roman characters.  Only single-byte roman characters were preserved.

My work-around is to "print" (from Nitro Pro) to the rarely used Microsoft XPS format (*.oxps) which is a Microsoft flavored XML wrapper that was used in the Windows 8 era.

From the XPS viewer, you will then need to print it out as a PDF file, to a new file (do NOT attempt to overwrite an existing PDF or it will fail); the end product will be a flattened PDF file.

Hopefully, the fine developers at Nitro will look into extending native support for the use of non-Roman and double-byte characters into an otherwise good product!

In Gassho / よろしくお願いいたします。