Fillable PDF Survey

Ricky Racoon

Ricky Racoon

I imagine that this has been answered before in some form, but I didn't locate a post that addresses this exact issue. Please indulge a relatively new user:

For our HOA Tech Committee, we need to create an email-able .pdf survey that allows users to enter their responses to questions (mostly yes/no, or put an 'X' in the blank, with only one question allowing some limited random text entry). But we do not want the users to be able to modify the document in any other manner. What is the general procedure (specific steps appreciated) for making this kind of document? We have access to Nitro Pro 11. Thanks in advance for any suggestions . . .

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

You'll want to use password security in the Protect tab to restrict editing of the PDF.

These two articles go over password-based security and the feature permissions you can set on a document.

http://guide.gonitro.com/articles/permission-settings/

http://guide.gonitro.com/articles/password-security/

I would test it to be sure, but for changes allowed, you likely want Form filling and signing.

This way people can only fill in the form fields, and can't make any changes to the PDF without knowing the password to unlock the PDF.

• 2 weeks later...
Ricky Racoon

Hi Steven, Sorry to have taken so long to acknowledge your assistance. Thank you very much. Between your feedback and some more digging, I figured out how to accomplish my task. But now I have come up against a roadblock for another issue, but have found no clear answers.

I now have a form with several survey questions that each give the users two check-boxes, 1 for YES and 1 for NO (and sometimes a third for N/A). What I would like to do is make these 2 (or 3) check-boxes mutually-exclusive - i.e. if NO is checked, and if the user then attempts to check off YES, it will either vacate the NO box, or have a pop-up saying only one choice is allowed. I've done some more digging and Google searching, but can't seem to find the general steps to accomplish this. Can you help me again with this issue? Thanks in advance . . .

Ricky Racoon

Hi Steven,

Thanks again. Your instructions gave me exactly what I was looking for. I like the looks of the mutually-exclusive check-marks much better than that of the radio buttons. Plus, it seems that if you use the radio button option, once clicked, they cannot be cleared like your check-mark option.

Archived