Copy/Paste Shapes and Text + Arrange

Dave Keevil

Dave Keevil

Hi Folks,

New to this site. I am having some difficulty copying and pasting shapes and text box items. For example, I am creating a circle (using the shape tool) with overlay text such as a number key (using the text box tool) and a leader off that. However, if I copy and paste these three items the text box always drops behind the 'shape'. I need to do this multiple times over multiple pdf documents and drawings, on multiple projects (to keep company consistency). I've purchased Nitro Pro knowing that you can 'Arrange' parts of images behind/in-front of one another but this function doesn't seem to cross onto the shapes/text box one might use to mark-up or create unique leaders...

Any help or work-arounds will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

I've been trying to reproduce this, and so far I can't.  I thought I had it one time, but it turned out I had not actually selected the text box, and so had just copied the arrow & circle.

So my first thing would be to check that the text box is actually there- it probably is in your case, but check anyway.

After that, I found that it was a lot easier to work with the items once I selected them, right-clicked, and did Flatten Selection, which makes them part of the document then, and not just a comment/annotation.

Hopefully this helped a little- if not, let me know.

Dave Keevil

Hi Steven,

Many thanks for the response. I have to admit my belief was that if I flattened something I wouldn't be able to edit any of it afterwards? I.e.; I can use the Edit /Copy marquee from the drop down menu but this won't just select the item/s I flattened, rather it will select anything that's in the background with it as well. Any chance you could you explain your process?

(Sorry I was trying to attach a little sample of what I'm doing but the 'Insert other media' tab here doesn't seem to work for me, which is just great)

Cheers!

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

I think I'm missing something, but when I flatten the item, and then go to the Edit button, the box shows up around any items there- I can select the one I want by making sure the blue selection box is just around the item I want.  If the items happened to overlap exactly with their selection boxes, it would be extremely difficult to select the one underneath- in this case, keeping the thing as a comment/annotation would be a much better idea as you can easily select it then.

If you're trying to select items by clicking and dragging the selection box, rather than moving the cursor over the item you want and clicking on it, maybe the process is a little different.

Archived