Tiny font on printer list

kcarty

Once I added multiple printers to my computer today, the print dialogue box has a super-tiny font for the list of printers so I can't actually read which printer to use in Nitro Pro 11. Tech thought I needed to change my display, but that gave me a readable print dialogue box and an unreadable pdf. Anyone else have this bizarre issue and know how to resolve it?

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

There's a workaround here: use the Batch printing option instead- File, Batch Printing, check "include all open documents".  This uses a different style dialogue from the main Print one.

If you want to make this easier to get to, set a keyboard shortcut or put the option on the Quick Access Toolbar.

Here's some details on how to do those: http://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/keyboard shortcuts/000002042

You could always try upgrading to the latest version of Nitro if you aren't already (11.0.7.425)- it's possible the issue is fixed even though it's not mentioned in the release notes (https://www.gonitro.com/product/downloads ).

Hope that sort of helps.

• Administrators
Mario Kevesic

@kcarty and @cshek I believe this problem is caused when Windows Resolution is set so high that scaling needs to also be set high (e.g. above 200%).  This is something that we're currently looking into but here's the potential workaround: 

Windows 10: 
1. Right click on the Nitro shortcut > Properties > Compatibility 
2. Enable the "Override high DPI scaling behavior." > Select "System (Enhanced)" from the drop down box > OK 

Windows 8: 
2. Enable the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" > OK 

Mario, 

I tried that. It made the dialogue box bigger and easy to read, but then the pdf itself didn't show properly and the whole image is no longer viewable. 

• Administrators
Mario Kevesic

@kcarty sorry to hear that my suggestion wasn't a viable solution for you. I'd try @Steven Zakulec suggestion instead. As I mentioned before, this is something we're currently looking into. 

Chuck Sheketoff
On 5/23/2018 at 12:14 PM, Mario K. said:

@kcarty and @cshek I believe this problem is caused when Windows Resolution is set so high that scaling needs to also be set high (e.g. above 200%).  This is something that we're currently looking into but here's the potential workaround: 

Windows 10: 
2. Enable the "Override high DPI scaling behavior." > Select "System (Enhanced)" from the drop down box > OK 

Windows 8: 
2. Enable the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" > OK 

Thanks. The Windows 10 option did seem to mostly fix it. I hope you will on your end so i get to use my good computer screen's settings.

• 1 month later...
  • Power User
Steven Zakulec

That's a little weird, but there's some other ways to change the setting.

First, make sure you've right-clicked the icon on your desktop- right-clicking the icon in the Start menu doesn't show the same options.

If you've right-clicked the desktop shortcut, and don't see the option, or if you don't have a desktop shortcut, you'll need to go to the program location: C:\Program Files\Nitro\Pro\12.

You'll want to right-click on NitroPDF.exe.  This should let you set the compatibility options then.

professorutech

Thank you Chsek and Zakulec: I shotcutted the .exe file to desk top and found the compatibility tab. I checked the 'override DPI....'to no luck. maybe I have to restart.

• 3 years later...
Posted just now · Hidden
  On 5/23/2018 at 4:07 PM, Mario Kevesic said:

@kcarty sorry to hear that my suggestion wasn't a viable solution for you. I'd try @Steven Zakulec suggestion instead. As I mentioned before, this is something we're currently looking into. 

I have version 13 and have the issue with tiny text in the printer selection box.  You were looking into this on version 11- is it fixed or not?

• 4 months later...
Earl Hughes

Now it's July 2022 and I still have the problem that Nitro said they were working on in 2018- tiny font in the print function dialog boxes .  Only Nitro Pro 13 does this on my computer.  Is there a solution?

• 1 month later...

How on earth can a company not solve an issue that has persisted through at least three major versions of their product?  Nitro is the ONLY program that has the tiny printer list font.

• Official Nitronaut
8 hours ago, Earl Hughes said:

How on earth can a company not solve an issue that has persisted through at least three major versions of their product?  Nitro is the ONLY program that has the tiny printer list font.

The text size appearing small in the printer fields may be caused by the scaling settings in Windows.
Please try the following steps and see if this improves the text display in the Printer Selection of Nitro PDF Pro:

1. Open the 'Properties' of the NitroPDF.exe (Found via C:\Program Files\Nitro\Pro\13) 2. Select the 'Compatibility' tab then 'Change High DPI settings'.
3. Enable 'Use this setting to fix scaling problem for this program instead of the one in Settings'.
4. Also enable 'Override high DPI scaling behavior'.
5. Adjust the 'Scaling performed by' to 'System (Enhanced)'.

Please let me know this works on the your device.

• 7 months later...
Thomas Soulos

The fix proposed  for the display scaling of NitroPDF.exe while it does correct for the tiny font on the Print dialog screen, it leaves the appearance of the actual PDF document on the main screen fuzzy, so overall this is not an adequate fix. I am running version 13. Hopefully a proper fix can be implemented to this problem with was first reported 5 years ago.

Earl Hughes
On 8/23/2022 at 3:07 AM, Leslie V said:

The text size appearing small in the printer fields may be caused by the scaling settings in Windows.
Please try the following steps and see if this improves the text display in the Printer Selection of Nitro PDF Pro:

1. Open the 'Properties' of the NitroPDF.exe (Found via C:\Program Files\Nitro\Pro\13) 2. Select the 'Compatibility' tab then 'Change High DPI settings'.
3. Enable 'Use this setting to fix scaling problem for this program instead of the one in Settings'.
4. Also enable 'Override high DPI scaling behavior'.
5. Adjust the 'Scaling performed by' to 'System (Enhanced)'.

Please let me know this works on the your device.

Sorry I didn't see the reply sooner.  I tried the settings, and while the printer selection font is now readable, all the PDF files are a little fuzzy.  I returned the settings to the original and now keep a magnifying glass at my computer to read the Nitro printer selection dialog box.  As I said before, every other program on my computer has normal fonts in the printer selection dialog box.  Only Nitro Pro has this issue, continuing through many years and program revisions.

• I agree 1