Highlighting Version 12

DWeb

With some PDFs the highlighting in 12 will highlight the corresponding column in a 2 column page document.  I checked with my version 10 to see if this was an issue with the pdf but I had no issues with highlighting the exact same text and it bleeding randomly over in the next column.

Second issue in ver 12 that is not in ver 10 is that sometimes I can only do a block highlight in ver 12 and I don't get the cursor that let's me highlight only a certain text string - the drag highlighting.  Again, no issues in ver 10 with the same pdf doc.

It seems ver 12 is buggy but now you can't speak to any support so I'm not sure how this gets resolved.  Frustration level high in that I paid for a new version that doesn't work as well as a an older version by 2 gen.

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

Is there any chance you can share publicly one of these PDFs that have the issue (or at least share enough about the format & layout so I can reproduce it)? I'm trying to reproduce this in Nitro 12 with the highlight bleedover, and so far the only time it happens is if I drag the selection box really close to column 2.  I do notice that the highlight box has a semicircle on either end, which might grab a character before and after your selection, but not a column.

In Nitro 12, it looks like once you click on the highlight button, you're always highlighting until you go to another tool- if you select any text, it gets highlighted; if you double click on a word, it gets highlighted.  Any cursor that shows up will let you do highlighting.

I could send directly.  It's paid research with copyrights.  BTW, I don't have the issue with ver 10, Adobe Reader or the Foxit Trial I just downloaded.  And, I only have this with one provider that I have noticed so far.

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

For the benefit of everyone else in the future:

After some more testing, it looks like there's two ways to do highlighting, one of which works exactly as you described- in Nitro 10, it doesn't do wraparound, and in Nitro 12 it very often does wraparound to that first column.

If you do a selection or click text inside the paragraphs, you see the over-highlighting issue.

If you instead do a selection box from outside of the text, you get the behavior from Adobe and Nitro 10 (you can still force the other column to be selected, but it's much harder).

Archived