Search or tag

NAM Morgan

NAM Morgan

I am wanting to be able to search the contents of the PDF without opening it or maybe using a tag/#

I have a series of documents that I want to save in a folder and rather than go poking through the depths search the folder for a tag or keyword.  I have tried the meta tags and that did not work.

Any suggestions?

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

So, after a bunch of research I have an answer for you.

Windows can definitely do this, provided it is setup correctly.

Follow this guide: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-make-windows-10-search-through-file-contents/

You'll want to make sure the .pdf extension is set to Index properties and file content.

This should be enough- tell me if it isn't.

NAM Morgan

Steven Z- thanks for the input I am playing with your idea and I don't think it will work but I am re-indexing just to be sure.

The problem is that it is a network drive on a work network system so this is not the best way to go.  I want to search a specific folder on the network for the content of a pdf.  I have tried using the meta tags in Nitro and keywords.  No luck yet.  I have thousands of clients/orders that we save the history in pdf format and I want to be able to search for a piece of the name or the quote or bill number from the highest level of the file.  

I cannot make the drive accessible offline for security and size reasons.  I had tried it before posting with windows search and that was why I came here.  Is there a spot in Nitro that lets me create a tag or index that is searchable without opening the PDF?

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

As far as I can tell, it will absolutely work the way you want it to (provided things are set up correctly)- that's how I tested it.  I set up a folder with 3 PDFs in it, and put tags in them completely unrelated to anything in the file.  Once I did the changes from that article, I was able to open the folder in File Explorer, and search for one of the tags, and Windows showed me the correct file.

Network folders aren't usually indexed, so you'll want to make sure you have the folders you want to search added to the Index folder list.

On some computers, the component that allows Windows to do full-text search isn't there or isn't working properly- the easiest way to know if this is the case is if you see "registered iFilter not found" when you go to change the Indexing settings for the .PDF filetype.

Archived