Question on PDF X/1-a format

starryknigtpress

starryknigtpress

Does NITRO PRO 11 convert or export to PDF X/1-a format? 

I ask because I cannot find the option anywhere. I bought this program as an alternative to Adobe Acrobat Pro as it is HEAVILY marketed as such. But it seems it is lacking this function, which is needed for preparing works for printing. Can anyone steer me to the proper info if I am wrong and it does have this functionality?

Louis 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Official Nitronaut
Kelvin B. Villarin

Hi Starryknigtpress,

Thanks for posting on our community forums!

PDF/X-1a files are regular PDF 1.3 or PDF 1.4 files with several restrictions. We do have an option to convert to PDF/A-1b: long term visual appearance preservation (PDF 1.4)

Please refer to this link for more information: http://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/iso/000001591

If this doesn't help, please submit a support request so we may assist you further: www.gonitro.com/support/ticket

Cheers!

starryknigtpress
3 hours ago, Kelvin V. said:

Hi Starryknigtpress,

Thanks for posting on our community forums!

PDF/X-1a files are regular PDF 1.3 or PDF 1.4 files with several restrictions. We do have an option to convert to PDF/A-1b: long term visual appearance preservation (PDF 1.4)

Please refer to this link for more information: http://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/iso/000001591

If this doesn't help, please submit a support request so we may assist you further: www.gonitro.com/support/ticket

Cheers!

So the answer 11 days later, which I had figured out now by myself, should be, "No, we do not support save as/export to PDF X/1-a."

Your answer discussing another format is irrelevant and a bit confusing and in fact somewhat misleading in its vagueness. It's like if I asked, "Do you sell oranges?", and you said, "Oranges are a fruit and we sell apples, which are also a type of fruit." Right, but you didn't answer honestly and directly about selling oranges, did you?

Also, your answer is inaccurate, as PDF/X-1a are not just files with several restrictions, they actually must contain a special file identification, inside the PDF, which says which PDF/X version they are. Without specifically being coded as such, as a PDF/X-1a, some printers may reject a writers PDF, even if the other restrictions are met, because the file is of the wrong type. Is this irritating and form over function? Yes. Must you comply if you want to get your book published/printed? Yes. Thus your program falls short in a key area that PDF creators need and that Adobe provides.

Let's change this into a feature request then, "Please add support for saving as/exporting to PDF X/1-a."

"The purpose of PDF/X is to facilitate graphics exchange, and it therefore has a series of printing related requirements which do not apply to standard PDF files." (Wikipedia) 

This  format is required by some printers and, thus, if you want to be taken seriously as a viable alternative to Adobe Acrobat, you need to offer the same features for PROFESSIONAL use, including this well established commercial printing related format. If you are making content for print you absolutely need to be able to export to this format. If you are required, as I now am after purchasing your program, to open the PDF created with your app in another program and save it/export it AGAIN in the PDF X/1-a format, that is another step (time wasted) and another iteration (more chances for errors and dilution of the file integrity to creep in), both of which are not good.

I had hoped this program was, as advertised, a viable alternative to Adobe Photoshop, but after having used it a while and paid for a license I am disappointed by a feature set which does not match the breadth and scope of Acrobat, and does not feel PRO(fessional) at all, but more like Home User Plus.

I believe at $127 (on sale) I spent about $100 too much, its poor value for money. If it was a $29 application I would be satisfied, now I am just irritated, disappointed, and feel I have been taken in by a marketing ploy eager to mine discontent with Adobe's unpopular monthly subscription plan by offering mere puffery, smoke and mirrors, and boasting...and not a serious, feature-for-feature alternative at Acrobat.   

Louis

• Official Nitronaut
Kelvin B. Villarin

Hi Starryknigtpress,

First of all, I apologize for the confusion. It was not my intention to have it come out that way. I was only offering alternatives since PDF/X-1a is not a standard format that we can create.

I also regret to hear that Nitro does not meet the requirements of your project. We are constantly working on making the program work better for a larger base of users especially those dealing with other non-standard formats of PDF. We have greatly improved from the older versions, but we recognize that there is still much work to do. Surely, improvements to this will be included in one of our future releases.

For any further questions or concerns, please open a ticket here: www.gonitro.com/support/ticket

Going through this channel will help us gather important information to accurately answer your queries and suggest tailor-fit solutions or workarounds. Submitting a support ticket will also guarantee a faster response time.

Hope you have a great week ahead!

starryknigtpress

Well I think you are missing my point.To be clear, this feature is NOT something far out in left field, it is VITAL for people who are working in the publishing world, as some printers require that your PDFs be in PDF/X-1a format or they will not publish your book for you. So please don't marginalize the need for this feature. 

Moreover, the fact that I paid $127 and you just sent me a coupon to purchase it for $99 is even more insulting considering the pretty obvious puffery going on in terms of your actual features list.

If I contact support will they be able to help me with a refund, because I'd rather pay $29 or $39 for the same features you provide from other applications, without the false marketing hype of this program being a fully viable Adobe Acrobat replacement, when in fact it is nothing more than your run of the mill PDF program you can download for free or buy the "PRO" version at less than $40. 

Louis 

Edited by starryknigtpress
typo

• Official Nitronaut

Hello starryknigtpress,

Please open a support ticket here so we can assist you directly.

Cheers!

• 3 years later...

Just want to bump this question from 2017 as I never got an answer. 

Does NITRO PRO convert or export to PDF X/1-a format? 

I ask because I cannot find the option anywhere. I am a self-publisher. I need this for preparing books for printing.

Louis 

• 2 years later...