How to Clear "Recent Documents"

Skyman5

I do not see a way to clear the Recent Documents list in File > Open > Recent Documents Logically, right clicking on a file should open a dialogue to delete the file from the list, but that is not the case. So, how is it done?

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

You can set the Recent Documents list to 1 document, flushing anything else before the current document: File, Preferences, Appearance, "Maximum number of documents in recently used list".

• 1 month later...
  • Power User
Steven Zakulec

You can set History to 0 documents, and Recent Documents to 0 as well, but Recent Documents requires you to add a registry key.

This should be a safe operation, but as always, please be careful when making changes to the registry.

Go here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nitro\Pro\(your version number)\Settings\Preferences\kPreferences

Add a new String and call it kPrefInterfaceRecentlyUsedListLength . Double click on it and set the value to /i 0

This will set Recent Documents to 0 documents.

Good luck!

14 hours ago, Steven Zakulec said:

You can set History to 0 documents, and Recent Documents to 0 as well, but Recent Documents requires you to add a registry key.

This should be a safe operation, but as always, please be careful when making changes to the registry.

Go here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nitro\Pro\(your version number)\Settings\Preferences\kPreferences

Add a new String and call it kPrefInterfaceRecentlyUsedListLength . Double click on it and set the value to /i 0

This will set Recent Documents to 0 documents.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the support. I followed your instructions but now nitro crashes as soon as I try to open a pdf file.
I wanted to specify, however, that in my case the string kPrefInterfaceRecentlyUsedListLengt h was already present between the strings of kPreferences and was set to 1. I only changed the value to 0.
On the other hand, if you restore to 1, the value of the whole string is fixed.

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

Indeed, it does crash Nitro 12 if you try to do this.  I'm guessing you're running into an unsupported area here- if you've got support for Nitro, you can try filing a support case over this, but there's a good chance of it getting closed for that reason (the unsupported nature of the change).

If you're willing to poke around and break things, you can probably come up with something close to this, but I can't help you with that, because it's outside of what I'm willing to help with.

Sorry it didn't work out- you could always leave a post under the Product Improvement forum about your desire for this, and if you have an account manager, ask them to forward it on for you (and file the ticket about the crash in that case).

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

So, I have thought about this a little more, and the next best thing you can do here is make a batch file or a script that calls Nitro, and then when Nitro closes, overwrites the registry key with a dummy value.  If you point the Nitro shortcut link to your batch file, and set the default Windows PDF handler to your file, you should then effectively have zero recent documents because as soon as Nitro closes, the file would overwrite the registry with your dummy value.

Archived