Word Add-In

Richard Youngman

Richard Youngman

I use Word 365. It recently had an upgrade. Even though I have the "Open PDF File After Conversion" checked, the file does not open in Nitro after I convert the Word file to PDF. I have re-installed Version 10.5.9.14 several times but this does no solve the problem. Please help. The file is created but it is a pain to have to find it and open it manually.

Richard Youngman

Thank you. I did as you suggested but it still does not work. I use Nitro Pro 10.5.9.14 because the interface for that version works best with what I require. Nitro 12 removed features that are essential to my work flow. Any further suggestions would be helpful. I will try this on my home computer that does have Nitro 12 to make sure the converted file is still being opened after creation in the updated Word 365.

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

I'm a little curious what feature got removed from Nitro 12 that you used in Nitro 10, if you'd care to share that.

Richard Youngman

Really not relevant to my problem, but I receive scans of files that contains information I use to create the file name, in 10 when I give this scan a name that conforms to information in the scan, the document remains visible on the screen so that I can view the information in the scan that I need to create the proper file name which takes the form "lastname_firstinitial_matter_file#". If I use version 12, I have to write this file name on a piece of paper since when you save the scan the document disappears from the screen. I complained about it before to no avail. One of the versions acted like 12 but was changed to the 10 interface after I mentioned it.

Any further ideas as to why the saved Word file no longer opens as a PDF? There was a recent major upgrade to Office 365 that may have affected this feature.

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

I've got some ideas you could try but I'm not really sure any of them will work.

Use Windows disk cleanup and empty out the Temporary files at least.

Go to the Printers section of the Windows Settings app or Devices & Printers, and click Manage on the Nitro PDF Creator (Pro 10) printer.

Then click on Printing Preferences.

Make sure the "Open using default application after creation" box is checked.

In Word, go to the Nitro Pro 10 tab, and make sure the "Open PDF after creation" box is checked.

Make sure the following registry keys are set correctly (open Start menu, type regedit and choose Registry editor):

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nitro\Pro\10.0\NitroPDFCreator\PDF

the Open key should be set to: 1

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nitro\Pro\10.0\Settings\Preferences\kCreatePDF

kCreatePDFOpenAfterCreation should be set to: /b 1

Richard Youngman

The first two were correctly set. However, I seem to have the Nitro PDF Creator (Pro 10) printer listed twice as a device. Should I delete one of them?

The first registry entry was set to 0, so I changed to 1.

The 2nd, "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nitro\Pro\10.0\Settings\Preferences\kCreatePDF

kCreatePDFOpenAfterCreation should be set to: /b 1" does not have a kCreatePDFOpenAfterCreation. It just has (Default). How do I create the entry that you cite?

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

To create kCreatePDFOpenAfterCreation, right click on the white-space below the values on the (Default) side, choose String Value, and enter in the name.

To set the value for the registry key, double click on the kCreatePDFOpenAfterCreation key, and type /b 1 in the Value Data field.

On your question about two Nitro 10 PDF printers, I'm not sure there-  you could probably remove one of them because you do need only 1, and if one of them had a weird configuration error, and that's the one Nitro was preferring, it could lead to an issue.

• 2 months later...
Richard Youngman

I have tried everything suggested but still cannot get Word Documents saved from Word as PDF's to open on creation in Nitro. I used to work perfectly. I would create a word document, save it as a PDF and upon saving it, it would automatically open in Nitro.  I have no idea what caused this to stop working again.  I have tried all your suggestions, but none of them work.  You have any further ideas.  I have installed and reinstalled multiple times to no avail.

Archived