Opening new pdf's in separate view

Backtable

Suggestion

I'd like the ability to scan a document and have it open separate from an existing open Nitro 11 pdf. This feature would make drag-and-drop a little easier by enabling the user to read the new pdf before adding to an open existing one, i.e., right now all pdf's open in Nitro Pro together as tabs and having to put them in page view, them highlight the pages you want drag-and-drop, and then doing so and having to scroll up/down the existing document for the proper insertion point is cumbersome.

• I agree 2

22 replies to this suggestion

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

There's two ways to do this: you can right-click on an open PDF and choose New Vertical Tab group, or there's a special multi-window mode.  The only way to turn on multi-window mode is with a registry key change.

'New vertical tab group' is an improvement but can both files be opened such that page thumb nails can be seen and exchanged from one file to another?

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

You can right-click on a thumbnail and then copy it from one document to the other,  There's also a pair of buttons to the left of the - & + signs for copying & pasting pages.

The thumbnail view only shows the active document's pages, so if you want to see the thumbnails for the other document you have to click into that document, then open the thumbnail view.  You can right-click on any page, and choose Paste to add in the page after the currently selected one.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Steve, I guess I was hoping Nitro might make it possible to open more than one file with thumbnail imagery so thumbnails could be exchanged (dragged-and-dropped) with greater ease between two separate files?

We use a single pdf as a 'client folder' such that there are multiple documents, sometime hundreds of documents laid out within separate sections much like an actual notebook might be. 

Being in an open pdf with thumbnails, having to drag a specific thumbnail from it into another open but non-thumbnail pdf often means dragging the imported thumbnail down multiple pages of docs to the right spot. If the system isn't displaying as fast as you're dragging you have to wait to ensure you're at the right spot before 'dropping' the imported thumbnail...otherwise, you're fishing for the right location again.

This is more cumbersome than having two pdf's open in separate windows (especially if you use multiple monitors) and being able to drag-and-drop thumbnails between them visually. Another rival (whose name shall remain unspoken) offers this feature and I miss the functionality of it.

I just realized that if both files were put into 'new vertical tab group' and thumbnails enabled for both, the functionality of dragging between the two would be far better for the way we utilize the system (no need to open pdf's in separate windows, but still a nice option).

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

So, I just tried multi-window mode, and you can in fact drag & drop pages from one windows to the other.  If that's what you wanted to do, I can tell you how to turn it on.

• I agree 1

There's a multi-window feature in Nitro Pro? I really should read more...if you've got a way to make this happen Steve, I'll be happier than a gopher in soft dirt.

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

There is a multi-window mode in Nitro 11, but it requires you to change a registry key (or create it if the key doesn't exist).  Make sure you inform support if you having an issue that you have it on, because it's not a default, and it's possible that your issue might be tied to that.

It's labelled as a preview in the 11.0.3.134 release notes: https://www.gonitro.com/support/documentation/release-notes

You're currently limited to two windows.

Since you're about to edit the Windows registry, please be super-careful, because there are no safeguards to keep you from doing something that is difficult or impossible to recover from without a reinstall.  It's generally a good idea to make a backup of the section of the registry you are editing.

In this case, you only need to edit a single key:

Open the start menu, and type regedit.

You need to run it with admin permissions (right-click, run as administrator).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nitro\Pro\11.0\settings\allowMultipleInstances

You want to change that from a 0 to a 1.

In case the key does not exist, you want to create a new DWORD (32 bit value) called allowMultipleInstances (make sure the case matches).

Double-click on the key, and change the 0 to a 1.

Good luck!

• I agree 1

To paraphrase Patton while he surveyed Rommel through binoculars in the desert, "Steve! You manificent bas***d, I read your book!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJXKVOxqkWM

Outstanding, Steve! Followed your instructions to the letter. Didn't have to do anything but change the registry value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nitro\Pro\11.0\settings\allowMultipleInstances from a 0 to a 1.

And it worked!

Brilliant, this is just what we needed!

Thanks, man. This makes a BIG difference!

• I agree 1

I made the change to open multiple instances however I am only allowed to open two instances of Nitro Pro.  Is there a registry edit to allow unlimited instances?

• Power User
Steven Zakulec
53 minutes ago, blueprint said:

I made the change to open multiple instances however I am only allowed to open two instances of Nitro Pro.  Is there a registry edit to allow unlimited instances?

Not that I know of- you could contact support and see if there's something they can do for you: https://www.gonitro.com/support/ticket

It says it was released as a 'preview'.  What does this mean?  Will it be a standard part of a future update?  It is a huge hassle to get our IT people to allow for changes like the one above.

• Administrators
Mario Kevesic

@LisaVH your assumption is correct, multiple instance will be a standard feature going forward and you will have an option whether to continue working in a tabbing system or in two instances of Nitro Pro. 

• Administrators
Mario Kevesic

@blueprint if you have purchased Nitro Pro from our website as a single user, you will be limited to 2 instances. If you upgrade to our VLP program (11+ licenses), number of instances is unlimited but we have to set it up on our end first. Hope that clarifies it. 

On 5/17/2017 at 9:03 PM, Steven Zakulec said:

There is a multi-window mode in Nitro 11, but it requires you to change a registry key (or create it if the key doesn't exist).  Make sure you inform support if you having an issue that you have it on, because it's not a default, and it's possible that your issue might be tied to that.

You need to run it with admin permissions (right-click, run as administrator).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nitro\Pro\11.0\settings\allowMultipleInstances

You want to change that from a 0 to a 1.

In case the key does not exist, you want to create a new DWORD (32 bit value) called allowMultipleInstances (make sure the case matches).

Hello!

Does this also work with Nitro 12? Because for me it doesn´t. 

Thx!

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @hyperpac,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

Nitro Pro 12 is designed to behave like a web browser allowing users whom like working within one window vs multiple.

At the moment, the only option available would be to open files within the program and drag a tab out and create a new window. For detailed steps, please refer to this article:
http://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/window/000002902

We are always looking to improve our user experience and I will pass on a request to add an option to choose how you wish to open documents within Nitro Pro.

Please let me know if I can assist you with anything further.

13 minutes ago, AllainU said:

Hello @hyperpac,

Nitro Pro 12 is designed to behave like a web browser allowing users whom like working within one window vs multiple.

At the moment, the only option available would be to open files within the program and drag a tab out and create a new window. For detailed steps, please refer to this article:
http://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/window/000002902

We are always looking to improve our user experience and I will pass on a request to add an option to choose how you wish to open documents within Nitro Pro.

Please let me know if I can assist you with anything further.

Hey,

thx for the quick response. Your described way works fine. However I would prefer having an option to configure that permanently - like "always open documents in a new window" or "always open documents in a new tab". Thx!

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @hyperpac,

Thanks for your response and feedback.

If you would like to request a change in how Nitro handles opening documents in new windows instead of tabs, you can submit the request directly to our Product Team using the link: https://community.gonitro.com/forum/12-product-improvement/

While we cannot guarantee each feature request submitted will be granted, rest assured our development team will be notified through above website and all updates will be available on this page: https://www.gonitro.com/nps/product-details/downloads

Please check for updates on page above from time to time.

Thanks for choosing Nitro Pro and I hope this helps!

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Damien,

Could you please Nitro Pro build (format is 12.X.X.X, e.g. 12.0.0.112) you're working with? You can find these out by clicking on 'About Nitro Pro' under the Help tab.

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

Good Afternoon

On 1/30/2019 at 11:38 AM, hyperpac said:

Hey,

thx for the quick response. Your described way works fine. However I would prefer having an option to configure that permanently - like "always open documents in a new window" or "always open documents in a new tab". Thx!

Some of our heavy edit document group here would also be onboard with having the option to "always open documents in a new window".  I am working with NitroPro 12.11.0.509 and haven't seen this option.  Anyone know if this has been made available?  I don't see it at this time.

Thanks

Jared Price

Please add this 'open as separate window' option in future Nitro versions! The regedit trick doesn't seem to work for Nitro Pro 13.