Cannot prevent printing a PDF

Stephan Gropp

I selected the security settings of a PDF document to prevent printing. 
Unfortunately the settings has no effect. Although I hit the OK button, the checkmark is not selected any more if I open this window again.

It looks to me as if the setting doesn't get saved with the document. Am I missing something or is this a bug.?

Thanks for any advice

Stephan

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

If you give me a few more details, I'll try to reproduce the problem on my end and file a bug report if I end up with the same result:

What version of Nitro are you on?

What security settings are on? You can get them from going to File, Info, Show all properties, then the Security tab.

Did you save the document after making the change to disallow printing, and then close & re-open the document to make sure you're seeing the applied changes?

Thanks for your quick response. Very appreciated!!

You provided the solution already in your response. I changed the password and settings and was still able to print. But after I saved the file and re-opened it, it was protected. So pushing the 'OK' button is not enough to activate the password. I still have to save the file. That's fine, I just didn't know it.

One more suggestion:

I'm obviously using the German version of Nitro Pro (12.0.0.112). I would suggest a better translation of the security settings.

In the properties section of the security settings there is this line:
"Drucken zulässig:"  (="Printing allowed") and the default answer is "Keine". That's wrong in German and doesn't make any sense. The possible answers to "Printing allowed" should be YES or NO, correct? So in German it would be "Nein" instead of "Keine".

In the next line "Erlaubte Änderungen" the answer "Keine" is correct. Sorry, but German is not simple.

Maybe you can change it with one of the future updates.

Thanks again,

Stephan

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

I'm glad I was able to help you there.

On the translation issue you brought up, I looked to see what the text for that box actually is, and it's not just a yes or no box.

The Printing allowed dialogue has three options: None, low resolution, high resolution.  I don't have any experience with German, so I don't know if the translations make any more sense knowing what the English text says.

I don't work for Nitro- just a community member.

Hi Steven,

I understand the 3 options in the printing box. Only the translation of the first option is wrong.
Anyway, do you know how to send such a feedback to Nitro directly?

Thanks again for your help.

Have a great weekend,

Stephan

Stephan Gropp

A message and response to AllainU :

Thanks for your email but I cannot reply to it. So I put the answers in this blog:

I'm using the German version of Nitro Pro (12.0.0.112).

S/N:   234600-xxxxxx-xxxxxx

How can I upload a screenshot in this blog???

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier the correct 3 options for the "Drucken zulässig" (='printing allowed') box are:
- Nein                              (instead of 'Keine')
- niedrige Auflösung     (correct - no change)
- hohe Auflösung          (correct - no change)

Cheers,
Stephan

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @gropp.s@lahoe.de,

I will forward these information to our development team.

While we cannot guarantee each modification request submitted will be granted, rest assured our development team will be notified through above website and all updates will be available on this page: https://www.gonitro.com/nps/product-details/downloads

Please check for updates on page above from time to time.

Thanks for choosing Nitro Pro!

Archived