Analyze Text Properties

marneo1

I have a few PDF documents archived. Specifically I need to know exactly which font and font size they were drafted in. After opening one of them in Nitro Pro, I tried highlighting some random text and right clicked for 'properties' but that did not yield the desired result. 

Would anyone please be so kind as to instruct me how to go about discerning the font and font size of the selected text?

Thank you in advance for any helpful guidance.

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

As long as your document isn't a scan (if it was, it's usually a single image per page and no font info is present in the file), you might be able to use the Edit button on some text, and see the font size and font.  The other way to see the fonts is to go to File, Document Properties, and then the Fonts tab.  That will show you all the fonts that are present in the document.

The Edit tool seems to show font sizes a little off- a document in front of me is saying 10.98 size for one of the text blocks.

If you do in fact have scanned PDFs you need to identify the fonts for, you'll want to extract the pages as images and use one of the online font identification sites to figure out what the fonts are.

If you need more details, you might be better off with a PDF analysis tool like pdfstreamdumper.

Thank you for your response Steven.

As you stated, File, Document Properties, Fonts tab only tells me the fonts that are present in the document but not their sizes.

Can you please tell me how to use the Edit tool? After selecting a sample of the text, I double click on Edit and the selection is then unselected.

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

The Edit tool works on any object in your PDF- text boxes, images, markups, etc.  You'll see a blue box around an object when your cursor is on or in an object.  Simply click inside the text box, and you'll see the font and size, and the text box will now have a red border instead of blue.

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

Hi, you can do this under the Convert tab.  Either To Image or Extract Images should work- probably Extract Images is slightly better here.

Good luck!

Archived