Embedded Visio drawings in MS Word documents look awful when converted to PDF

Nick Bee

Suggestion

Hi Nitro team, when I convert an MS Word document to a PDF using Nitro, the embedded Visio drawings look awful in the resulting PDF. When I use the built-in "Export to PDF" native Microsoft functionality the embedded drawings look fine.

Please see attached screenshots

Using Nitro PDF

4Khuezg1LiQN.png

Using Microsoft Export to PDF

4KhuubYKSUH7.png

3 replies to this suggestion

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Nick Bee,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

When converting a document to PDF, the file is optimized in the process. This can be changed depending on what process is used to create the PDF. Please refer to below different ways of converting to PDF with different quality results:

a. Print Settings: Can be found under Devices and Printers, right-click the Nitro PDF Creator and choose Printing Preferences. Change the Conversion Quality or choose Custom and specify your own settings.

b. Create PDF From: Click Settings on the top right and choose the appropriate conversion quality.

c. Right clicking (Context)/Drag-and-drop conversion: These settings are dictated by the Settings under Home > PDF > From File... option in Nitro Pro

d. Combine: Click Settings on the top right and choose the appropriate conversion quality.

e. Office Add-ins: Click the Nitro Pro ribbon in the Office program and choose Advanced. In the window that pops up, click the Optimization tab and choose the appropriate conversion quality.

Thanks for choosing Nitro Pro and I hope this helps!

Hi AllainU, thanks for getting back to me. I put all the quality settings up as high as they would go and it still has the same result.

However, embedded Visio drawings are not images and wouldn't be affected by image quality settings, when you convert them to PDF normally they seem to be stored as vector diagrams as they scale infinitely and take up very little space on disk. You can also select the text embedded within the drawings when you export using Microsoft PDF. This appears to be the way NitroPDF handles the conversion from a vector to an image.

When you go to Visio and Print to PDF using the NitroPDF extension it does seem to print to vectors (although it still does a worse job that Microsoft PDF: output alignment on pages quite bad), just not when those same Visio diagrams are embedded into a Word document.

I really love all the more enterprise features of Nitro, would be great if the basics were gotten right too.

Kind regards, Nick

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Nick Bee,

Thanks for your response and for providing this information.

In order for me to further assist you, could you please send me a private message and provide the following?:
-The build of Nitro Pro are you working with. You can find this out by clicking on 'About Nitro Pro' under the Help tab (format is 12.X.X.X, e.g. 12.0.0.112)
-The serial number of your Nitro Pro
-A sample file (with sensitive information extracted) so I can replicate it on my end

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

Archived