Unable to Open PDFs from Network Paths

NickC

Good day all.

I am experiencing an issue with my user's when attempting to open a PDF from a network path, the application opens but only to a gray screen. Even when trying to browse to the pdf file it still will not open it. If we move it to the desktop, the file will open.

Any ideas?

We're using Nitro Pro 11

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @NickC,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

In order for me to further assist you with your concern, could you please send me a private message and provide the following?:
-The serial number of your Nitro Pro and its build (format is 11.X.X.X, e.g. 11.0.7.411). You can find these out by clicking on 'About Nitro Pro' under the Help tab
-Does this happen with every file? If it's a single file, please send us the sample file (with sensitive information extracted) so I can replicate it on my end
-Where are the files saved (local, a shared drive or an external drive) when you’re trying to open? Can you check if you have the same issue when the file is saved locally?

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @NickC,

Thanks for your response.

To further assist you with your concern, we have created a support ticket on your behalf and was able to inform my colleague of the build you're currently working it.

Also, he will continue working with you through the support case.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @RogerHart,

To further assist you, please provide more details of the issue you're experiencing such as screenshots of the error messages when saving PDF document/s to a network share.

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Nitro Pro 12.6.1.298 is the version we are using on new Windows 10 Pro 64bit systems. With the IE Plugin, I can open a file by putting the path in the browser such as c:\temp\myfilename.pdf and open the pdf in the IE browser. If I click on the Edit This Pdf button the editor opens. I can then save the file to a network drive mapped location. ie: U: drive which is \\someservername\somesharename. When I go to open the file from the U: drive it opens in IE. However, upon clicking Edit This PDF nothing happens. It's like the call doesn't exist. 

The security rights should be good as I Saved the file.

Any suggestions? I need to make movement on this or find another solution.

Thanks

We're having this same problem with 1 user, on version 11.05.  This just started happening after refreshing Windows on a new hard drive. Problem appears related to permission of the local users as it fails for the assigned user (not a local admin), but works for my account (domain admin). 

Otherwise, opening files from networked shares via mapped drives works normally for Adobe Reader DC and Chrome (with PDF viewer). 

All Windows and Office security, "critical", and "important" updates are applied and up-to-date.  Prior to installing, the serial number was deactivated on the old system, and activated on the new system.

Upgrading to version 11.08 (where this problem is supposed to have been fixed) fails, even with admin permissions and elevation on Windows 7 Pro, SP1. Uninstalled version 11 and tested with version 12 (trial) where it works normally, completely as expected. Of course our version 11 license serial number will not work for version 12. 

Giving the assigned user of this PC local admin rights to simply open PDFs across the network is an unacceptable solution, and is not considered best security practice due to risk of malware infection.

Please tell me we don't have to shell out another license fee for a version 12 upgrade to fix this problem. 

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin
On 1/4/2019 at 3:31 AM, RogerHart said:

Latest Nitro Pro 12.6.1.298 is the version we are using on new Windows 10 Pro 64bit systems. With the IE Plugin, I can open a file by putting the path in the browser such as c:\temp\myfilename.pdf and open the pdf in the IE browser. If I click on the Edit This Pdf button the editor opens. I can then save the file to a network drive mapped location. ie: U: drive which is \\someservername\somesharename. When I go to open the file from the U: drive it opens in IE. However, upon clicking Edit This PDF nothing happens. It's like the call doesn't exist. 

The security rights should be good as I Saved the file.

Any suggestions? I need to make movement on this or find another solution.

Thanks

Hello @RogerHart,

Upon checking your account using your email address, a colleague of mine is already working with your via support ticket.

At the moment, we are still looking into this issue so please accept my apologies on behalf of Nitro.

If you have other information to added, please do not hesitate to reply to the support case.

Cheers and have a nice day!

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @skippy_tails,

To further assist you with your concern, I created a support ticket on your behalf to ask for more information.

I will wait for your response through the support case.

Cheers!

Archived