Error Code: 0x400D04C8 when overwriting file

Jon Hartley

When saving a PDF overwriting an existing file we are encountering Error Code: 0x400D04C8.  After the error message, the program freezes then crashes.  Please advise.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Tech Support,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

In order for me to further assist you with your concern, could you please provide the build of the Nitro Pro (format is 12.X.X.X, e.g. 12.0.0.112) you are working with? You can find these out by clicking on 'About Nitro Pro' under the Help tab.

Also, does this happen with every file? If it's a single file, could you please try File > Save As? What is the outcome?

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

Hi AllainU,

The build number is 12.5.0.268.  The error occurs when the user is overwriting an existing document (all existing documents).  Usually she is just presented with the error upon save.  On one file when she saves, she is presented with the error then the program crashes.

Thank you,

Jon

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Tech Support,

Thanks for your response and for providing these information.

Is the user overwriting any existing documents while there saved on a network share? Can you check if the user has the same issue when the file is saved locally?

I would love to have a copy of a sample file (with sensitive information extracted) so I can replicate it on my end. Would that be possible?

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

• 2 weeks later...

The user is overwriting a file that is on her OneDrive account I believe.  If the file is on her desktop, and she saves over it, there is not an issue.

Thank you,

Jon

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Tech Support,

Thanks for providing this information.

This is Windows error that has been passed through to Nitro. I have translated the hexadecimal code and looked up the error, which is:
-----------
ERROR_USER_MAPPED_FILE 
1224 (0x4C8) 
The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open.
-----------

We believe this means that a linked or related file is still open or that another program or process in Windows is holding something open that is related to this file. Have you tried rebooting your machine to kill or end the link related to the file still being used by another program?

Also, can you update to Nitro Pro 12.6.1.298? If yes, kindly use these offline installers to update:
x32 http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_1261298/en/burn/nitro_pro12_ba_x86.msi
x64 http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_1261298/en/burn/nitro_pro12_ba_x64.msi  

If you are not sure which to pick, this will help: http://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/64/000001874

Thanks for choosing Nitro Pro and I hope this helps!

Archived