Nitro Pro 12 prevented Word from opening file

William Agar

William Agar

Yesterday, I tried to open an existing Word Document in my Word 2016 program and got an error message "Word is running into problems with the 'nitropdfprofessional.msofficeaddin12" add-in". I selected the option to disable the add-in and the document opened without problem. My Nitro Pro is 12.6.1.298. Should I permanently remove the Nitro Pro add-in from Word 2016? Do you have any suggestions?

Thank You

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @dagar74,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

When opening any Word documents with Nitro Pro addin enabled in MS Word, does it run very slow before receiving the error message? Are you also experiencing the same issue with Outlook and Excel applications?

If issue is only present with MS Word, kindly uninstall/install your Nitro Pro plug-in for MS Word. Please refer to these steps:

1. Close your Nitro Pro and MS Office applications if they're open.
2. Right-click on the Nitro Pro desktop icon and select Run as Administrator.
3. Go to Help tab > Support Tools > PDF Creation tab and tick the box for Microsoft Word under Microsoft Office Add-ins. If the tool is not found in Help tab, you will need to go to the installation folder of Nitro Pro and run NitroPDFSupportTools.exe (by default, it is inside C:\Program Files\Nitro\Pro X, where X is the version you have)
4. Click Update Add-ins button. Installation will be done in the background. Once it's done, you should receive a message 'Update of add-ins was successful. To activate your changes, please restart Microsoft Office applications'.
5. Click OK > Close.
6. Close your Nitro Pro, open MS Word and try opening a Word document again.

Thanks for choosing Nitro Pro and I hope this helps!

William Agar

I have opened many Word 2016 documents over the last 3 days with no delays; however, the Nitro Pro Add-in was still deactivated by Word as reported in my first post. The Nitro Pro add-in was active in my Excel 2016 and I had no problems in Excel with the error message or delays. I do not have Outlook.

I reactivated the Nitro Pro add-in in Word and then did the update procedure in your post. It did say that it was successful; however, the successful message popped up almost instantly after I selected update, which makes me wonder if it actually updated. In Word, Options > Add-ins, it lists the add-in as Nitro.OfficeAddin.Net.Proxy.12.dll and its properties in Explorer shows it is dated October 23, 2018, which again makes me wonder if the Nitro Pro Add-Ins actually updated. Is this the correct update?

After doing the add-in update, I have opened 4 Word documents with no delays and no errors, so I will see what happens and report any further issues.

Thank You

Archived