Image quality loss during conversion

MikeD13

With Nitro Pro 11, choosing the "Print Ready" option for "Make PDF files" resulted in the images not losing any quality (at least they didn't appear to). With Nitro Pro 12, the images are definitely being reduced no matter which option I choose (the resulting file size is smaller than the image). The image is definitely fuzzy when the PDF is printed. Is there a problem with this feature in Nitro Pro 12?

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @MikeD13,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

In order for me to further assist you with your concern, could you please send me a private message and provide the serial number of your Nitro Pro 12? This matters because our business installers are different from the online ones.

Also, please include Support Tools file from the affected machine. Note that if the tool is not found in Help tab, you will need to go to the installation folder of Nitro Pro and open NitroPDFSupportTools.exe: http://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/support tools/000001594

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

• 1 month later...
  • Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @davea,

We would like to further investigate this issue so could you please send me provide the following?:
-Nitro Pro build (format is 12.X.X.X, e.g. 12.0.0.112) you are working with. You can find this out by clicking on 'About Nitro Pro' under the Help tab (format is 12.X.X.X, e.g. 12.0.0.112) or you can go to Control Panel > Programs and Features.
-Does this happen with every file? If it is a single file, please send us the sample file (with sensitive information extracted) so I can replicate it on my end. To send me the sample file, hover your mouse on top of my name 'AllainU' and select 'Message'.
-Where are the files saved (local, a shared drive or an external drive) when you are trying to convert? Can you check if you have the same issue when the file is saved locally?

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

• 6 months later...
Daniel Mahnke

OK, so I don't see any solutions for this in posts. I very, very recently purchased 13 and am trying to convert a fairly high quality JPG file to PDF. File size is 5 MB. As the original poster said, no matter what option I choose in settings, Web Ready, Print Ready, even Custom, the output is the same. The file size is about 460 KB and the image quality is quite poor. For what it's worth, the online assistance/guide on this topic must be outdated because the settings in Custom you discuss are not the same as the settings in the program. Guess it needs to be updated. Somebody please help. Quite frustrating since I JUST bought the software and can't seem to figure this out.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Dan M.,

After checking your account records, we can see you already submitted a support ticket for the same concern.

For better case handling, we notated this information so kindly wait for an email from a Nitro Support Representative through the support case.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @tkrm,

In order for me to further assist you with your concern, could you please provide the following?:
-Nitro Pro build (format is 13.X.X.X, e.g. 13.2.2.25) you are working with. You can find this out by clicking on 'About Nitro Pro' under the Help tab or you can go to Control Panel > Programs and Features.
-Does this happen with every file? If it is a single file, please send us the sample file (with sensitive information extracted) by sending me a private message so I can replicate it on my end. 
-Where are the files saved (local, a shared drive or an external drive) when you are trying to convert? Can you check if you have the same issue when the file is saved locally?
-A screen shot of the error message you are receiving and/or any important information. To find out how to take a screen shot, check out this link: https://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase/#/search/screen/000004108 

To send these information via private message, hover your mouse on top of my name 'AllainU' and select 'Message'.

On 11/26/2019 at 3:31 AM, MikeD13 said:

I was informed that they were able to reproduce the issue but it wouldn't be fixed any time soon. It was placed on the "long-term roadmap".

Not what I wanted to hear with 30,000 plus images waiting to be converted to pdf format.

• I agree 1

I have found a partial solution to this problem (which is caused by the OCR Engine integration into Nitro Pro).

Go to "File" -> "Preferences" -> "Conversion" -> "Advanced text recovery" and untick "Automatically OCR image based documents before conversion" at the bottom.

Seems to work for both conversion of images as well as direct scanning into Nitro Pro but does (on my PC) cause "Not responding" error messages during the conversion process.

Not an entirely satisfactory outcome, so I will be looking for a refund on this software.

• I agree 1

• 2 months later...

I am having the same issue as the OP.  No matter what settings I select when creating a PDF from either a scanner or from a file the PDF quality is terrible.  I was able to find a workaround (by not using Nitro) but if this isn't fixed I will have to look for another PDF solution. 

• 8 months later...
  • Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Michelle Halle Stern,

Before continuing, please be aware that Nitro Pro 11 or older are already discontinued as documented in our Sunset Policy: https://www.gonitro.com/support/sunset-policy . With that, support for the discontinued versions are no longer available.  

If you are interested in upgrading your license to Nitro Pro 13 with a discounted rate, kindly access our Upgrade Portal and enter your Nitro Pro 10 serial number: https://www.gonitro.com/pro/upgrade 

You should then receive an email confirmation with a new serial number to activate Nitro Pro 13 and to know more about some enhancements and fixes with Nitro Pro 13, please visit our Release Notes page https://www.gonitro.com/nps/product-details/release-notes 

In addition to that and many other feature improvements, version 13 also contains some important security vulnerabilities fixes that you might want to consider when deciding whether to upgrade to it or not. You can find out more about these fixes here: https://www.gonitro.com/nps/security/updates

Thank you for choosing Nitro and I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this problem too, and I'm using 13. Print in scanned documents is degraded severely, and I have all the settings I can find adjusted to Print-quality resolution; the scans are still much clearer than the resulting pdf. The compressor is overzealous, and clearly needs attention. I don't want my documents degraded to the point of illegibility - dropped dashes, letters slashed into with white space - just to save in size. It's telling that this problem is nearly two years old without a solution.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @flurb,

In order for me to further assist you with your concern, could you please provide the following?:

-Is this a new issue or has it occurred since after installing Nitro Pro? Any changes you are aware of before this happened (e.g. Windows Updates)?
-Build of Nitro Pro are you working with. You can find this out by clicking on 'About Nitro Pro' under the Help tab (format is 13.X.X.X, e.g. 13.2.3.26) or you can go to Control Panel > Programs and Features.
-Does this happen with every file? If it is a single file, please send us the sample file (with sensitive information extracted) by sending me a private message so I can replicate it on my end. 
-Are you printing scanned document to a physical printer? If yes, what is the exact make / model of your printer?

• 2 months later...

I am using the latest edition: 13.26.3.505. It is not a new issue, but I have now ahead of me a large scanning project. I am on the point of finding a new program, since I have a lot of text scans to do, and Nitro's results - though set for Print quality - are degraded compared to the .tif files I am putting in, in some cases missing parts of letters, rendering my careful scans' text difficult to read - too degraded, in fact, for effective OCR. This is not a new issue. Apparently Nitro is somehow reducing quality for size, and not allowing me to dictate results. I am not printing the result - I am archiving printed matter, but I want the archive to be of decent quality.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @flurb,

My sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

Could you please try updating to our latest build using below direct MSI installers and check the quality results?:

x32 http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_13310605/en/retail/nitro_pro13_ba_x86.msi 
x64 http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_13310605/en/retail/nitro_pro13_ba_x64.msi

I'm having trouble installing the new build. I'm getting this message: The file C:\Program Files\Nitro\13\NitroPDF.exe is being held in use by the following process: Name: NitroPDF, Id: ,Window Title: 'Nitro Pro'. Close that application and retry.

All instances of Nitro are closed, and I confirmed this in the Task Manager, nevertheless the Retry button avails me nothing. I'm using Windows 10. Must I uninstall (grr)? Please advise.

I am using the latest edition: 13.26.3.505. It is not a new issue, but I have now ahead of me a large scanning project. I am on the point of finding a new program, since I have a lot of text scans to do, and Nitro's results - though set for Print quality - are degraded compared to the .tif files I am putting in, in some cases missing parts of letters, rendering my careful scans' text difficult to read - too degraded, in fact, for effective OCR. This is not a new issue. Apparently Nitro is somehow reducing quality for size, and not allowing me to dictate results. I am not printing the result - I am archiving printed matter, but I want the archive to be of decent quality.

ADDENDUM: I can't uninstall either, getting the same message to close something that doesn't appear to be open in any way. Criminy! What gives?

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @flurb,

Thank you for your patience and our sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

Kindly note our latest build for Nitro Pro 13 is 13.31.0.605 and if something is blocking you from uninstalling 13.26, could you please reboot your machine and try again.

If that did not help, please uninstall using our Clean-up Utility  http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_13310605/install-cleanup/install-cleanup.zip then reboot the machine again.

NOTE: This clean-up tool will erase any existing signature files within Nitro so please save them to another location before using the clean-up tool in order to keep them. Please see this link for backing up custom stamps/signatures: https://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/stamps/000004307 

After rebooting, try reinstalling again using the MSI installer for 13.31 that you have downloaded.

Thank you. The new build seems to have solved the problem. The final pdfs look much better, with a corresponding increase in size of 6x, which I don't mind at all with the rise in quality. I have one remaining question, though - why was this build not indicated when I checked for updates this week?

• 1 year later...

Having the same issue. No matter how I configured the settings, images appear jagged and low quality. Not a problem until I upgraded from Nitro Pro 10 to Nitro Pro 13.16.2.300. 

Tried suggestions above, but no difference. 

Uninstalled and installed version 13.38.1.739 but the issue persists. 

Very frustrating from a long time Nitro user. Any working fixes for this issue?

• I agree 2

• 7 months later...

We're experiencing the same issue. Adobe Pro and PDF-Xchange don't produce the same result. (So I suppose it's not caused by Windows-settings)

We tried adjusting the Nitro PDF creator - settings from lowest to highest possible quality, no difference. Also deactivated the automatic OCR, same result.

As this is a very old issue, I'm surprised, not to read of earlier fixes from Nitro. Can any "Nitronaut" please share some solutions, that worked in the past?

Any support is apreciated.