Nitro Pro 12 - Setup wizard has failed.

bob.cook

I was having issues with Nitro Pro - you don't have the priority or permissions or something like that - so i uninstalled.  Now when I attempt to reinstall setup goes through the download process and then when the install starts it says 'Setup wizard has failed'.  I have cleaned the registry of all things Nitro Pro as best multiple scans with my cleanup utility will do, rebooted, etc. but nothing seems to allow Nitro Pro to be reinstalled.  Suggestions??

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @bob.cook

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

Could you please try the steps in the Word document that my colleague provided in this post? The steps should be working for Nitro Pro 12 as well:

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

AllainU, thanks for your suggestion but these steps will be a ridiculous amount of work for 'mainstream' software'.  Can you imagine Adobe telling me to take those steps??

I've been using Nitro Pro since Version 5, over ten years, and had installed Version 12 two weeks ago.  It was working fine.  I noticed residual folders for the older versions of Nitro Pro (which did not uninstall properly over the years obviously) and deleted them.  I did not touch the folder(s) for Version 12 but the deletes obviously affected Version 12.  I have rid the registry of any hint of Nitro Pro but Version 12 will not reinstall.  it is something else, not administrators rights.

AllainU, against my better judgement, and because I need to edit a PDF, I took your advice.  I went through the procedure and this command failed: icacls "%ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps" /setowner "NTService\TrustedInstaller" - 0 files changed. I do have access to the WindowsApps folder without popups.  I should have tested that before I started as I'm sure I would have had access before the command prompt stuff.

I then attempted to install V12 and it failed just as before. 

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @bob.cook,

Thanks for this information and my apologies for the delay.

To further troubleshoot this installation issue, kind run Run MS FixIt to uninstall (or delete traces from previous installations) your Nitro Pro:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

After running the tool, please reboot your machine and try to reinstall again your Nitro Pro.

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

Hello AllainU,

I believe I identified the issue. My download folder contained multiple nitro_pro12.exe files from the multiple times I downloaded and tried to install and received the 'Setup wizard has failed' error.  The download folder also contained one nitro_pro12ba_x64.msi file.  I deleted all the nitro_pro12.exe files and used the *.msi file to install - no problem.

Several hours to figure that out.  That is just not right.

//   Bob

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @bob.cook,

Thank you for your response and for letting us know deleting old Nitro Pro MSI installers.

I deeply apologize for having to wait several hours before hearing back from us. 

I strive to help our users to my best ability and fast response time but will take your feedback seriously and try to improve based on it.

Thanks for choosing Nitro Pro and please don’t hesitate to reach out again if you have further questions.

Archived