Edit and delete properties in pdf files

CMAJ

Sometimes should be convenient for confidential or other reasons that some of the data depicted automatically in the pdf properties box will not appear. Is there any way to edit properties of pdf documents to delete or modify them or, alternatively, to lock them to prevent reading?

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

Yes- you have a number of options here.

For the PDF properties, just open the file with Nitro, and go to the File menu.

On the right hand side you'll see the most common properties for the file. 

Any of the items under Details can be edited right there- each line is a textbox you can edit.

If you want to see all of the file information, click on the link that says "Show all properties".

This brings up the Document Properties window, which shows you all the information about a file.

From here, you can manage the file information, and inspect & change the file security among other things.

Here's how to secure your document:

Here's what the permission options are for your document: https://www.gonitro.com/user-guide/pro/article/permission-settings

Here's how to use Password Security to do things such as requiring a password to open the document or perform certain actions: https://www.gonitro.com/user-guide/pro/article/password-security

If you click on the More button in Password Security, you'll get a couple of extra options.

The most important thing to remember when you set a restriction on the file is to save the file, close, and re-open it- that way you are sure that the restrictions took effect.

Hope that helps- if there's something else you wanted to do, let me know.

Thanks a lot for your prompt answer.

I proceed according with your explanation. Once opened the file information I can see two sets of data. The first one is Details: there I can make changes directly. However, the second one, labelled as General, do not allow any modification, even after opening "Show all the properties".

Moreover, when I introduce security with a password covering all the document contents, when opening it again, all the pdf properties can be seen without any restriction; in other words, they are not affected by the security settings. So the control I have only covers the change on Details data. Should be the reason that the pdf has not been directly created with Nitro Pro 12? And if so, is there are any way to modify, delete or hidden General data?

I have found that my question is solved directly by using the tool remove metadata available in the delete box. So forget my request. I did not realise that solution was directly available in Nitro Pro 12. Thanks again for your help and your time. Best regards.

Archived