Word/Excel to PDF - No Bookmarks from Headings/Sheets!

DrCeeVee

Greetings to the Nitro Community and the Nitro Pro Development Team,

I've been asked by my team leader to evaluate various PDF authoring s/w and recommend the one that best meets our requirements. Nitro Pro is among the top candidates, but I've discovered a bug that is too serious to ignore! I've tried several times to convert Word documents that contain headings, to PDF using the latest Trial Version of Nitro Pro. The conversion appears to complete OK and the resulting PDF is of excellent quality, but the Word document's headings are not transferred to the PDF as bookmarks! For the conversions I've used the Nitro Pro Word Add-on, and have ticked the checkbox "Convert Heading Styles to Bookmarks". I've tried many combinations of different settings and quality selections for the PDF output, but the resulting PDF files never contain any bookmarks. When I simply save the Word document as PDF (using Word's built-in PDF converter), all headings are correctly transferred as bookmarks to the resulting PDF file. I've reproduced this behaviour in two different computers running different versions of MS Office under different versions of Windows. In all cases, Nitro Pro somehow completely ignores the heading data when creating the PDF files, even though the selected settings specify that the heading data should be used. Furthermore, the same issue occurs when converting from Excel to PDF! Again, no bookmarks are generated in the PDF for each Sheet, even though the option "Create Bookmark for Each Sheet" is selected.

The above is not acceptable behaviour.

Another minor bug in the Word and Excel add-ons is that, in the window that pops up when clicking the "Advanced" button, the "Help" button doesn't work (doesn't do anything). This indicates to me that the Word/Excel add-ons may have been developed very quickly and not thoroughly beta-tested. Version details are given below:

• Nitro Pro 12.12.1.522 (Trial Version), tested on the following:
  • Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016
  • Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010
  • Windows 7 Ultimate
  • Windows 10 Professional

Can the development team please look into this, and let me know if you can reproduce this behaviour? If yes, is there any chance that you can fix this bug soon? If you want, I can provide sample Word/Excel files, and the resulting PDF files that demonstrate the bug.

Many thanks for your help. Looking forward to your reply.

Hi again, not yet received a reply to my post... Maybe it's because it's too long (I tried to be as specific as I could)... Anyway, below is a short version:

tl;dr

When converting Word files to PDF using Nitro Pro 12.12.1.522 (Word add-on), no PDF bookmarks are generated from the Word headings (relevant option is selected). Same thing happens when converting Excel files to PDF (Excel add-on): no PDF bookmarks for each Excel sheet (relevant option is selected). More details on the long version of this post.

Has anyone out there experienced this issue? Are the developers aware of this, and will there be a fix in the near future? I really like Nitro Pro and want to recommend it for purchasing by my organization, but I'm putting it off because of this issue...

Many thanks to everyone for their replies.

• Official Nitronaut

Hello @DrCeeVee,

Thanks for posting in our forums page!

I have created a support ticket so that we can communicate with you directly and investigate this issue further.

Thanks Haris!

• 1 month later...

Use the File Export command instead of printing or converting to PDF

Click on Create PDF/XPS.  Click on the Options box.  Select checkbox - Create bookmarks using Headings.  Deselect checkbox - Document properties.  Click OK.  Click Publish.  Bookmarks appear in PDF.  Select Bookmarks icon on L side to display.

• I agree 1

20 hours ago, Mark1947 said:

Use the File Export command instead of printing or converting to PDF

Click on Create PDF/XPS.  Click on the Options box.  Select checkbox - Create bookmarks using Headings.  Deselect checkbox - Document properties.  Click OK.  Click Publish.  Bookmarks appear in PDF.  Select Bookmarks icon on L side to display.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I tried to do what you are suggesting, but I can't find the "File Export" command, or a "Create PDF/XPS" button to press... Where exactly are these options in Nitro Pro?

If you mean the PDF conversion options in MS Word, then these are not relevant to my question. I want to use Nitro Pro for the conversion, not MS Word's built-in conversion engine!

Please let me know, thanks.

Edited by DrCeeVee
Added more information.

Nitro embeds conversion files in MS Office when installed.  MS Office includes the native Microsoft Convert to PDF conversion files.  When Nitro or Adobe Acrobat is installed, new files are added to the drop down menus.  I have both Adobe and Nitro software on my computer. Both programs have a "printer" installed to allow printing to a PDF file. This is in addition to the Microsoft PDF printer.  

I have not found a way to get bookmarks to show up in a Nitro PDF document using the  using the Print Command using the Nitro PDF Converter printer.   The program just converts the file to Nitro PDF and is not aware of document properties.  

The only way I have gotten bookmarks to show up in the Nitro PDF file is to go back to Word and use the File => Export command.  Export is one of the menu selections, like "Print" under the File menu.  If the Word document has Headings (text styles), then you can create bookmarks in the final PDF document.  Word uses the embedded Nitro PDF program to create bookmarks from Word Headings (text styles) and these show up as bookmarks in the final Nitro PDF document that opens when the conversion is completed. Be sure you have Nitro as the default PDF program.  I have another post in this section that goes through this process in more detail.  Search for Bookmarks topic with question by Eagan.  Have posted the procedures there.   

• 1 year later...

I have similar but "reverse" problem. I am using Nitro Pro 13 (activated). When I convert a pdf file with Bookmarks to MS Word, the bookmarks do not get converted to "headings" in MS Word. Is this a bug/missing feature of Nitro Pro?

I am able to convert with MS Word headings using smallpdf online converter.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Bernd Schneider
On 5/6/2019 at 5:18 PM, Leslie V. said:

Hello @DrCeeVee,

Thanks for posting in our forums page!

I have created a support ticket so that we can communicate with you directly and investigate this issue further.

Thanks Haris!

I experiencing the same behavior. No bookmarks from a Word document although switching on the option. Is there anything new on this issue?