Automatic Update - How to stop

GlennW

I bought a license for NitroPro 11, and have been very happy with it. However, I did not pay sufficient attention and did not deactivate the automatic update (I realize that you can't turn this off, but I set it to be done manually, only after prompting me). Everything was OK for a while with the trial but, of course, once that ended, I lost a significant amount of functionality.

I have uninstalled version 12 and reinstalled version 11, taking the time to make sure that the automatic update is set to the longest time period, monthly, with my input required to update. However, I somehow keep getting updated to version 12, and lose functionality (Expired Trial).

So my question is, how can I turn off what appears to be an automatic update to version 12? I don't want to buy another license and am completely satisfied with the features in version 11.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @GlennW,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

With previous versions of Nitro Pro, we do have 'Check for Updates' feature under Help tab but it is currently unavailable because our development team disabled it and haven’t bring it back. Please note that this feature requires user-intervention to execute.

I would also like to share that Update is way different with Upgrade. Updating is when a newer build is released of the same software version you are currently using. For example, if you had Nitro Pro 11, with build 11.0.3.173 installed, you can then update to 11.0.7.425 (the most recent release to date).

Updates include items like bug fixes, enhancements, and security updates. This is why we recommend that you are always running the current build of the software.  To find the latest the update for your particular version of Nitro Pro please click here.

With regards to Upgrading, it is when a newer version of Nitro Pro is purchased. An example would be upgrading from Nitro Pro 10 to Nitro Pro 11 (same with Nitro Pro 11 to Nitro Pro 12).

If your machine is part of a Domain within your organization / company, I believe your IT Admin may have placed a Group Policy (GPO) and attached the Nitro Pro 12 MSI installer somewhere. This has happened to one of my case before and it was fixed after removing that MSI package.

I also had another case where a Shavlik program is the culprit. It's a patching software that scans their computers and will push out updates to computers and the software therein it finds that need updating. If you have such software installed, Nitro Pro could be listed there to keep it updated.

Thanks for choosing Nitro Pro and I hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply AllainU: You're right, of course, I meant Upgrade, not update. Updates within a version are perfectly OK and desirable!

I'll reach out to our IT folks and see if there are scripts that run on startup that might be upgrading things without my knowledge. There is definitely a script that runs on startup but what it's doing is a) fast and b) generally hidden with respect to the content.

• 3 years later...
Maurvi Parmar

Hi @Allain Umailin

we have the similar issue in our company. We use Nitro Pro 13 Enterprise version. Suddenly, Nitro pro upgraded itself to another version and now asking for the activation key but we have activation file only. I had no choice to uninstall and reinstall the version we have the activation file to.

I had contacted the rep but it didn't help much and i am from IT department so nothing has changed in the server either.

The same thing happened today after 11 o'clock same as last week Friday. It started upgrading itself so please help me what I should do to avoid it? or is there a way in the settings that I can stop the version to upgrade itself?

Some User's computers, it crashed and I did computer Nitro repair and downloaded the utility Nitro repair from the link but didn't help so I had no choice to uninstall and reinstall.

Please help. 

Thank You,

Maurvi