Remove autostart of NitroPro systray

L B

• Administrators
Mario Kevesic

@Litro We're sorry to hear you don't find our new System Tray to be a useful tool to you. Our intention was to improve your productivity by making recently opened documents easily accessible, among other things. If you do not wish to have this system tray as part of your Nitro Pro experience, you can disable it in two different ways:

Thank you Mario.

Ask the developers to imagine if every tool that they used added itself to the System Tray. Would that be useful?

Imagine if they have to spend 10mins to remove this imposition each time that they update a tool.

The reason that I and others chose Nitro over Adobe is because the latter became a bloated POS.

I bought Nitro to have a good PDF reader for research papers in electromagnetics - not to join a "PDF community" with "online features" - in fact the work that I do would prefer less "online" tools for security reasons.

L

• I agree 1

• Administrators
Mario Kevesic

@Litro thanks for your feedback- greatly appreciated. I absolutely see your point so I'll make sure to forward it to our developers. 
Best,
Mario

• 3 months later...
Patrick Bouvry

So I sent you money for the new 13 version, and in return, I get pretty much the same functionalities as version 12 plus some annoying and seemingly useless NITRO PRO SYSTRAY, taking resources, with no option in preferences, toolbar or anywhere else to shut this off.  So according to your many client focus groups, everybody is so enthusiastic to have their PDF software FORCE them to do workflow management, conserve environmental resources (LOL!), and use unsecured cloud to...  I'm sorry, I don't even know what all this is supposed to do (and don't need it).  It's a PDF Software, not Google Cloud Drive or whatever else you're trying to achieve!  

Anyhow, no need to stress that this service is now forcibly disabled for me, and the reputation of NITRO PDF as a company has severely been tarnished by this 'in-your-face' forced intrusion on paying clients' privacy and trust.  Good luck going the big-software company's way by providing no ticket support (unless you pay more), and forcing unwanted functionalities onto your clients.  Unfortunately for you, unlike Microsoft, Google or Facebook, you don't have the monopoly to force your arrogance and disrespect on users/clients.

All that to say that maybe, an option to opt out and disable this unwanted feature would be a good idea.
Regards, P

Edited by patbouvry
  • I agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried switching off Nitro Pro SysTray in the Windows startup apps list - but it turns itself back on again.

I don't want to have to edit the registry.

Please include an option in the Nitro Pro (in the File > Preferences menu) to choose if Nitro Pro SysTray launches on startup.

Like others, I only want to use Nitro Pro on an ad hoc basis.  I don't want the Nitro Pro SysTray to slow startup or run in the background.

• I agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

+1. I paid for Nitro Pro, and as of version 13, I if I turn off Nitro Pro SysTray, it turns itself back on in the next restart.

This behavior should definitely change. Deleted from the registry. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

• I agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm also very annoyed with that "feature" and the fact that there is no option to disable it.

Even using Windows startup options doesn't work.
It is clearly purposedly forced to always launch at startup, all the time, for no overwhelming useful reason at all, and despite what the user may or not want.

I have never seen a legitimate software act in such an eggregious way.
I'd like to know the developper's rationnale for not even providing a simple way to disable the tray function without requiring users to fiddle with the registry.

• I agree 1

• 2 months later...
Mark McWilliams

Looks like your voices were heard.  I just installed version 13.24.1.467 that came out on Sept 1st 2020 and the Nitro system tray icon is gone.  I did an upgrade to a PC and a fresh install to a laptop and the tray icon doesn't appear nor does it show up as a Startup entry within the Task Manager.  

Note:  Installing to Windows 10 1909 machines.

Mark

On 9/3/2020 at 12:39 PM, mac_in said:

Looks like your voices were heard.  I just installed version 13.24.1.467 that came out on Sept 1st 2020 and the Nitro system tray icon is gone.  I did an upgrade to a PC and a fresh install to a laptop and the tray icon doesn't appear nor does it show up as a Startup entry within the Task Manager.  

Note:  Installing to Windows 10 1909 machines.

Mark

I updated when I saw this, but unfortunately it just re-added the system tray icon, that now also spams system notifications to boot, so I'm afraid this isn't my experience. Had to remove it manually.

• I agree 1

• 4 months later...

I have 13.33.2.645 and I don't want it in my system tray or have it in the startup path. I have disabled on startup but then it comes back. Please tell me how to turn this off.

• I agree 1