Nitro Pro 12.16.0.574 trial. First experiences... it sucks

akcurate_bezu

Suggestion

akcurate_bezu

I've been testing Nitro Pro version 12.16.0.574 and the experience has been quite disapointing. My main goal is to create simple PDF fillable forms with text fields, check boxes and radio buttons, nothing fancy. I'm running Windows 10 Pro, updated. Issues:

1. The application has crashed 6 times in a few hours. I have generated the same forms with Libreoffice, no crashes.
  2. The editor does not show any data on the different controls' dimensions. Generating multiple checkboxes or radio buttons with the same size is just a matter of luck.
  3. Radio-buttons edition is a nightmare:
    1. There's no logic on how they can be grouped.
    2. When changing their name, they may lose their grouping, be magically converted to checkboxes, or lose their name completely being impossible to edit them any longer.
  4. The Ribbon interface is less than intuitive.

Are these general issues?

HTH,

Pedro.

4 replies to this suggestion

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

I can offer you a little help with 2 & 3 here.

If you create a form control, you can then use Make Copies button under the Properties tab for the selected form control.  You can pick how many you want, and a couple of other options there.

For radio buttons, here's a post on how they can be grouped: https://community.gonitro.com/topic/2465-how-do-i-group-radio-buttons-so-only-one-can-be-selected-at-a-time/

Hopefully that helps a little!

akcurate_bezu

I forgot to add:

1. Forms > Tab order: does not work, the order remains as it was. I've tried this numerous times.
  2. Forms > Tab order: how can I return to "Automatiic order". After I checked the option "Do not show again", I could not find the way to enable it again.
  3. Changing document properties > Custom crashes the application.
  4. Radio Buttons edition: changing the control's name may crash the application.
  5. Adding text Typing text may end up becoming editable.
  6. Selecting a Form control, then attempting to obtain multiple copies: Properties > Make Copies does not work. It just does not make any copies at all.

@Steven Zakulec: Thank you! Yeap, that's the only way... the only problem is, it prevents any auto-processing, as the control that is "True" or "Selected" has always the same name. I should be able to generate a group of Radio Buttons with different names so when the form if processed the option selected can be easily identified.

HTH.

Pedro.

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

For 6 it's a bit weird- sometimes it works (any control in the same session should have no issues) and sometimes it doesn't.

You could make the one group with one value using Make Copies with the name you want, then make a second group with the next name, and so on.

Also, maybe Export Value is something to look into- you can have two buttons with the same name but different Export Values (Properties, Options, Export Value). When you click on one, the other is unselected.

For Tab Order, there might be another way (possibly using the Reset to Defaults button in the Preferences menu), but for sure you can get back the prompt by deleting or changing the registry key here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nitro\Pro\12\Settings\Preferences\FormsTabOrder

By default, there are no values there- if you've pressed Don't ask me again, then your choice is saved in kTabOrder . Delete that and you'll be prompted again.

Hope that helped a little!

akcurate_bezu
On 7/2/2019 at 10:07 PM, Steven Zakulec said:

For 6 it's a bit weird- sometimes it works (any control in the same session should have no issues) and sometimes it doesn't.

You could make the one group with one value using Make Copies with the name you want, then make a second group with the next name, and so on.

Also, maybe Export Value is something to look into- you can have two buttons with the same name but different Export Values (Properties, Options, Export Value). When you click on one, the other is unselected.

For Tab Order, there might be another way (possibly using the Reset to Defaults button in the Preferences menu), but for sure you can get back the prompt by deleting or changing the registry key here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nitro\Pro\12\Settings\Preferences\FormsTabOrder

By default, there are no values there- if you've pressed Don't ask me again, then your choice is saved in kTabOrder . Delete that and you'll be prompted again.

Hope that helped a little!

Thank you @Steven Zakulec, that was helpful!

Pedro.