Will not Highlight text in documents.

Charlene Vidal

Charlene Vidal

I have scanned documents as pdf and then I imput text information no problem.

I am not able to highlight any of the text.  I have done all the steps in the forum with no result.

Our office purchased 3 licences.  I have one of them.  The version we have is 12.10.1.487.

I am not comfortable putting our serial number in an open forum.

Please help with suggestions.

Charlene @ Angie Goulet & Associates.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Charlene Vidal,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

It is likely that the text is not actual 'text' (as a computer recognizes it), but vector objects or an image that looks like text.

Could you please run OCR and see if the will help? You may refer to this article on how to use OCR: http://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/ocr/000001654

If you are still not being able highlight some texts, kindly try the following as a workaround.

1. Pick a highlight shape of your choice under the Review > Shapes.
2. Create a selection using the Shape tool.
3. Go into the properties of the Shape and under appearance choose the Line and Fill Color, and change the opacity to 50%.

Thank you for choosing Nitro and I hope this helps!

• 2 months later...

My Nitro Pro 12.9.1.474 used to work fine in this capacity, but then started exhibiting this same problem about 2 months ago.  I'm not going to OCR a machine created PDF with perfect wording by running your sub-par OCR engine against it.  It opens and  highlights fine and works with the Nuance Power PDF editor.  Is there an update to your software I can apply?  There's nothing in the application for that.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @CriteriaFirst,

To update to the latest build, kindly use these offline installers:

x32 http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_12163574/en/retail/nitro_pro12_ba_x86.msi 
x64 http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_12163574/en/retail/nitro_pro12_ba_x64.msi

If you are not sure which to pick, this will help: https://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/64/000003790

After updating, kindly try high-lighting again the PDF file you are working with.

Charlene Vidal

It is still not working after I did the update.  Can you please provide me with step by step instructions on highlighting.

I might be missing something. It is just not working.  This is a feature that would really help me.

Charlene

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Charlene Vidal,

Thank you for your patience.

Are you high-lighting on Images or Vectors? If yes, kindly refer to this work-around:

1. Pick a highlight shape of their choice under the Review > Shapes.
2. Create a selection using the Shape tool.
3. Go into the properties of the Shape and under appearance choose the Line and Fill Color, and change the opacity to 50%.

• 1 month later...

I have converted a scanned pdf using OCR and can't highlight.  I tried the Shape work around but can't find how to add fill color to the shape.  Why is this so bloody difficult?  I've spent nearly an hour on this.  I have 13.2.6.26 which i recently upgraded from nitro pro 12.  12 worked just fine with highlighting.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Ratdog,

In order for me to further assist you with your concern, could you please send us the sample file (with sensitive information extracted) by sending me a private message so I can replicate it on my end? 

To send it via private message, hover your mouse on top of my name 'AllainU' and select 'Message'.

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Charlene Vidal,

Thank you for your response and patience.

In order for me to further assist you with your concern, could you please send us the sample file (with sensitive information extracted) by sending me a private message so I can replicate it on my end? 

To send it via private message, hover your mouse on top of my name 'AllainU' and select 'Message'.

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you.