Default Settings

pentop

Hi,

Is it possible to set default options with the product Nitro PDF reader, and if so what version of the product ?

The two examples are setting Page Scaling to None, and Default Page View to Single Page as examples.

Other products allow you to do this, via registry edits to the HKCU area for example, but I can't seem to find anything on this,

Thanks in advance for any help

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

You can set defaults using the registry- there's system wide in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nitro\Pro & per-user in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nitro\Pro.

Any version of Nitro will let you do this, but each version has slightly different keys.

There's really no documentation on this, as I believe they are not officially supported except in limited circumstances, but I think I can help you here.

Definitely make backups when you're testing things, and make sure Nitro is closed when you're making the changes.

Do be careful here, as it's possible to sometimes set an invalid value that could cause Nitro to crash, and if you are going to report a bug, make sure it's not because of a registry edit.

The general format of the keys is simple enough to understand by looking at them.

To set Page Scaling, change HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nitro\Pro\12\Settings\Preferences\kPagePrinterScaleSelector to /i 0

To change Default Page View, change HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nitro\Pro\12\Settings\Preferences\kprefDefaultPageView to /i 1

Good luck!

Thanks for taking the time out to reply to me Steven, much appriciated

I'm using version 5 (had other issues with newer versions), have tried the settings under Software\Nitro\Reader\5.0\Settings\Preferences as well as \kPreferences as that's where similar keys seem to be but no joy

Interstingly when I set the settings within the app, it doesnt seem to create any keys, and always defaults back to the orginal view

I'll keep plugging away at it

Edited by pentop
Added info \kPreferences

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

So, with such an old version, there's something in Windows you need to be aware of- if you're on a 64 bit Windows, Nitro 5 would only be a 32 bit app, and so the keys could be in a third place:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wow6432Node or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Nitro