PDF file size bloat after editing

MikeMee

I am a Nitro Pro 12 user in my workplace and finding it very useful to break down website articles into PDFs (via 'printing' them using Chrome).

I use Chrome as if I use Microsoft Print to PDF, the PDF file appears as a large series of bitmaps which then need to be OCRd. Chrome outputs the PDF with the text embedded as normal text, not bitmaps.

The files are destined to be edited, trimmed down and the text/images used on Confluence pages as part of some simple FAQs for internal users.

However, when I start trimming the files down and I start to remove the unwanted junk (e.g. empty pages, website adverts, share links and such like), the file size seems to enlarge to quite a lot more than the original downloaded PDF.

If I have removed extra bits - sometimes this can be large adverts in image form - from the PDF, why does the file size increase by such an extortionate amount?

(Notwithstanding the often crashes of the editor when I delete an empty page. That *is* annoying!)

• Official Nitronaut

Hello @MikeMee,

Please send information and details so that we can investigate. A few things you can send us are:

- the exact build

- sample file(s)

- your exact step by step process

- any relevant screenshot

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you about my Nitro Pro problem(s).

My version number is 12.7.0.395

Unfortunately due to company rules and regs, my internet machine does not connect to the machine that runs Nitro, so I'm unable to attach any examples - other than buying a personal copy of Nitro and running it from home.

• 2 months later...

To help with the issues, I've bought my own personal copy of Nitro PDF (v13) as I've also got a large personal project on the horizon (preserving old computer books for a museum in the UK) via a standalone book scanner. I can forsee the above being a problem if it keeps occurring. 

As soon as I start scanning in and optimising the scans, I'll keep this thread up-to-date as best as possible. Plus with it being a personal copy, I can use the Cloud features which I cannot using my work copy.

• 3 months later...

I am a Nitro Pro 12 user in my workplace and finding it very useful to break down website articles into PDFs (via 'printing' them using Chrome).

I use Chrome as if I use Microsoft Print to PDF, the PDF file appears as a large series of bitmaps which then need to be OCRd. Chrome outputs the PDF with the text embedded as normal text, not bitmaps.

Totally agree, that PDF versions of websites is maybe the best option to save article which can be "must have".