Large file size with Excel charts > PDF. Flatten sections/selection within a PDF?

Elizabeth

For an Excel chart with many data points I need to know the best way to achieve a quality image with smallest file size I can achieve in PDF. 

Converting from Excel using the Nitro add-in or Microsoft print to PDF results in large size, even when selecting WebSize in settings. Specifically one detail I want to know about is the detailed rendering of these charts' data points.  After using this method, I can see individual dots in the scatter chart rendering on the page on the PDF, as if it is keeping all the original data and not using a flat image of the chart. Can this be avoided when converting from Excel directly?  Note, in the PDF after conversion the charts aren't recognized as images, rather all parts of the chart are recognized as individual objects.

Copying the chart into Word first (before converting to PDF), I can get a smaller file size in the resulting PDF, though you can definitely see image quality is lost. 

The best way I can achieve high quality and small file size at the moment is either of these two methods:

• Excel > print/convert to PDF > take a screenshot of the PDF > copy and paste image into PDF
  • Excel > print/convert to PDF > export as image (configure desired DPI settings when doing so) > copy and paste image into the PDF 

I'm jumping through a lot of hoops to get the quality and file size optimized. It would be really helpful/useful if there was a feature to select a section of the PDF and somehow convert that portion to a high-quality image, instead of each little point/dot rendering as an individual object in the PDF. 

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Elizabeth,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

To further assist you with your concern, Nitro support team decided to created a support ticket on your behalf.

For better case handling, kindly respond to the email message that was sent to you through the support case.

Cheers!