Transfer of Nitro 11 - fixes will not work

BLE

Looking for some guidance here as I have about exhausted my time on this one.  I purchased Nitro 11 in May 2017.  I am now moving to a new computer and have all of my license information for my Nitro.  However, I cannot gt Nitro to install on the new laptop.

1) Nitro has discontinues Nitro 11, so was unable to find the Nitro 11 install file.  SOLVED:  I was abel to locate Nitro 11 from the Nitro archives

2) When installing the trial version, it successfully went through the download and then failed due to what appears to be a security rights issue.  From researching in the community forum, I found teh error message and the issue sounds like a known issue with Nitro.  The ProgramsApp folder needs administrtor priviledges, which wven though I am the adminisraotr of the computer, those rights are not afforded to Nitro when installing.  The fix was for me to open a CMD prompt in Administrator mode and enter about 6 lines of code to reassign admin priviledges.  This seems odd that a user needs to run CMD promt code to get the program to install.  It did not work.

3) I have tried to submit a ticket to Nitro but cannot because it requires premium or VIP access.

It is hard to understand that I paid for the software and now cannot use it due to installation restrictions.  I have now spent far too much time tryign to get Nitro to work.  Payigng for teh upgrade to Nitro 13 is not where I will go.  If I coudl get some help from Nitro on this, I would appreciate the support.

Stephen

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @BLE,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

To share some information, our product team investigated this issue last year and they found out this is a permission issue with WindowsApps folder inside C:Program Files that affected Nitro Pro 11 and other apps as well.

In their initial investigation, if MS Office that was purchased from their online Marketplace, the said folder by default is restricted preventing Nitro from accessing the folder to install the Add-ins. To get enough permission to install Nitro Pro Add-ins, above steps was finalized to helped our Nitro Pro 9, 10 and 11 users when installing their program on their Windows 10 machines even though they are also Administrators.

To further assist you, you have executed the 6 commands in Command Prompt as Administrator and it did not help. Could you please confirm if every commands gave you "Successful" results?

If one command failed, would it be possible to provide a screenshot of the resulting message?

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

AllainU - thanks for the response.  I am having trouble locating the thread with the CMD prompts to follow that are supposed to update the security priviledges.  Would you pleas forward me the link to the instructions?

AllainU - I found the links and still cannot run this process.

I found the following links:

https://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/failed/000003595

In the first line of CMD code, it instructs: 

1)  Right-click on the Start button and choose *Command Prompt (Admin).  Please ensure you run the CMD Prompt "As Administrator" *
2)  At command prompt window type the following command & hit *Enter.*
    takeown /F "%ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps"
* Note: The above command will assign the ownership of the folder:  "C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps" to the current logged on user.

When I run that code in from the "Windowsn Powershell (Admin)" prompt, I get the following:

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\windows\system32> takeown /F "%ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps"
ERROR: The system cannot find the path specified.
PS C:\windows\system32>

I am the administrator and this is a new computer.  What should be my next step?

For reference, I can provide my license, purchase date and any other information if you are able to open up a ticket fo me.

Stephen

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @BLE,

Thank you for letting us know you were able to figure it out by running the commands using CMD and not using PowerShell.

Have a nice day ahead!