Each save drastically increases file sizes

Prospect

Hi,

I have a user who reported Nitro is locking up and crashing, we determined that this is because each save increases the file size by a huge amount.

The PDF consists of a small single colour image and about half a dozen text fields, yet it has grown to over 1GB (!!!). We retrieved a smaller one from backups (still 80MB) and have been using that, but are unable to save changes as the size increases again to the point where Nitro locks up and crashes.

I have tested this with both Nitro 11 and 13 on two different machines and it does it on both. I've tried saving as a flattened PDF and it increased the size from 80MB to 120MB.

Is there a solution to this?

• Official Nitronaut

Hello @Prospect,

Thanks for your message!

So that we can troubleshoot the problem, please provide me with the following:

- A sample file for testing
- The exact steps you are taking
- What exact version of Nitro you are using (You can retrieve this information by going to the Help tab> About Nitro Pro.)
- A screenshot of what you are seeing or any error message you are receiving

Thanks!

• Power User

You may want to try optimizing the file to see if that reduces the size. You can customize the optimization by going to "File" then "Optimize PDF" and the options are found there.

Thanks @mfiske, I had a look at that option but it didn't seem to have an effect on this issue. I've also tried printing to PDF then re-opening in Nitro, which reduces file size, but it splits the text into individual characters and makes it hard to edit (these documents need to have some dates on them updated weekly).

@Leslie V. I'd be happy to send over some samples of affected files. These documents contain a logo and text that identifies the client so I'd prefer not to post them publicly, would it be possible to PM or email you a download link?

There's not much in the way of screenshots as it happens behind the scenes, however I have taken a screenshot of Nitro when the UI freezes during file operations. It looks much like any frozen software looks, with the UI washed out and a "not responding" dialog box. If I click "wait for the program to respond" it eventually finishes after 10+ minutes. It uses quite a high amount of CPU cycles during this period (CPU usage is at or near 100% during this stage). Additionally, the UI seems to stretch and blur a bit, instead of looking sharp the way it typically does, it appears as if a raster image has been slightly scaled up, blurring the pixels.

The client is using Nitro 10.5.9.9 (paid) and I've got Nitro 13.2.6.26 (trial) on my machine.

I've also recored NitroPDF.exe activity with Sysinternals Process Monitor during these events.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem. I have a pdf that needs a check number updated weekly. 

I started with a pdf document then used the Nitro 'Type Text' feature to add my check number. Once a week I 'edit the Type Text' number by double-clicking then changing the check number. When save the document, the file size drastically increases. It has ballooned in size from 174KB to 968,294 over a period of 3 months or so JUST FROM EDITING and saving that one 'Type Text' number. 

Please offer a solution.

• 1 month later...