Quicksign disabled but allowed

caladan607

I am unable to sign a document where the Document Properties Security tab clearly shows digital signatures are allowed.   Other input fields work as expected but I cannot insert text anywhere but on the designated fields. Please advise.

Also, Nitro is refusing to save changes to the file.  I removed it and reinstalled Nitro, but the problem continues. 

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @caladan607,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

In order for me to further assist you with your concern, could you please provide the following?:
-Nitro Pro build (format is 12.X.X.X, e.g. 12.0.0.112) you are working with. You can find this out by clicking on 'About Nitro Pro' under the Help tab or you can go to Control Panel > Programs and Features.
-Does this happen with every file? If it is a single file, please send us the sample file (with sensitive information extracted) by sending me a private message so I can replicate it on my end. 

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

Not every file, only some.  The latest is a form from the government (OF-0306).  When I check the security tab, it clearly says digital signatures are allowed.  How do I attach a file to this reply to allow you to test the form's ability to accept a Quick Sign?  Here is a link to it in my OneDrive. Shared_OF-0306_form

I was originally using Nitro Reader 3.5.2.10.  The Quick Sign is greyed out in that program as well for this form.  The government help line insists it is fully open to digital signatures and it must be a problem with the program I am using. 

Rob

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @caladan607,

Thank you for your patience and I do apologize for the issue you're experiencing.

Please note this document was created using a program called Adobe LiveCycle (see the Document Properties of the file), which utilizes XFA / XML forms architecture that is not compliant with the PDF 2.0 specification set by the ISO (International Organization for Standardization). Our Product & Engineering team is actively investigating options to improve Nitro's ability to handle XFA and other non-standard PDF document-types, but this is a significant product roadmap initiative, and unfortunately, there isn't a short-term solution. 

Although we have improved on how we work with this format, some files will still not behave as expected. 

If you intend to simply view or fill in the form fields in this specific file, as this is a proprietary Adobe format, we suggest using Adobe Reader. 

With regard to QuickSign (or Electronic Signature) that is greyed-out, please be informed it is different with Digital Signatures that is allowed under Document Properties > Security tab.

1. Electronic Signature - An electronic signature (aka “eSignature” or “online signature”) is the electronic equivalent of signing a document with a handwritten signature (aka "wet signature"). This is legally binding due to the 'intent to sign' (please see the compliance document attached). Like a handwritten signature, there is no proper security using this method; In the same way you can forge someone's wet signature, you could also electronically sign on someone else's behalf.

This type of signature is often used for internal workflows where a quick and easy solution is required and security is not as necessary. An electronic signature can be applied using our 'QuickSign' function.

2. Digital Signature - A digital signature is also legally binding and has security built in, though is not as quick and easy to use. Using a 'digital certificate' these type of signatures verify the signer’s identity, much like having a third party witness you sign.

This type of signature is often used when signing contracts that require a higher level of security. You can apply this via the 'Protect' tab in Nitro.

I recommend reading through the following links if you would like to know more:
https://www.gonitro.com/nps/pro/pdf-electronic-digital-signatures 
https://www.gonitro.com/user-guide/pro/article/digital-signatures

Thank you for choosing Nitro and I hope this helps!